So who did we elect this year?

A little disappointed with:

Additionally, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) would be steered away from immigration enforcement and focused more on drug trafficking.

I don’t think the War on Drugs needs any more soldiers; it needs a demilitarization.

Other than that, though, it’s definitely a step in the right direction.

7 Likes

we need a war on SOMETHING

how else can we keep the PEOPLE united behind the LEADER

5 Likes

Trillion-year contracts?

2 Likes

12 Likes

that kind of thing deserves an award:

1 Like

Yep. We’re winning the War on Poverty. We’re killing those poors.

3 Likes

You know, most of my colleagues are older liberal women. And they like Joe Biden. And I don’t get it. Just a couple days ago from NYT,

“She faced a committee that didn’t fully understand what the hell this was all about. To this day, I regret I couldn’t give her the kind of hearing she deserved,” he said, at an event in New York City honoring students who helped fight sexual violence on college campuses. “I wish I could have done something.”

You wish you could have done something? You fucking liar. I could accept I’m sorry. I could accept that first sentence. That hearing was the first major political event of my life, and I didn’t really get it, being like 5 or 6. But I went back and watched it after Kavanaugh. Joe Biden gave them the blueprints for the Blasey Ford firing squad.

There’s being lied to. And then there’s what Joe Biden is doing.

11 Likes
6 Likes

Elizabeth Warren, if she doesn’t some how get …well, I don’t want to jinx her, she does seem like a nice person; as human as a politician can be these days, I expect.

What I like and respect most about her is she goes out and PHYSICALLY talks to the governed of this country! I hate that she’s starting so early, but I s’pose she has to to build up enough momentum. And she isn’t HRC, whom I didn’t trust on general principles, not on her emails or what have you. That much ambition in any gender is suspect. EW’s ambition doesn’t come off as so…pushy. Yes, I found HRC to be pushy, not assertive. There’s a difference, sometimes not much, but it’s there.

And we can’t-can’t-CAN’T overemphasize the need to get a good VPOTUS! And Mr. Warren will need to be vetted, too.

SIGH

And, as usual, this is just me.

9 Likes

Unfortunately, I think she’s pushing another “anti-trafficking” bill (s2080) that may mainly hurt sex workers. I don’t know the details.

3 Likes

I’m on the Elizabeth Warren train. She gets that we need banking reform and to stick it to the ultra-rich, and that is what we need.

11 Likes

You think, but do you know for sure? It doesn’t really sound like it. In any case, there is no one living - and probably never has been and never will be - who can do good that is ALL-inclusive. And how many sex-workers are doing it voluntarily vs. those who’re pressed into it? And when it comes to human trafficking, how much of it is actually for sex workers vs. other laborers?

Here’s details on that, btw (as far as I can tell, there’s no animations of any sort on this page, but what affects you is probably not entirely detectable by me): https://projects.propublica.org/represent/bills/115/s2080

6 Likes

I will vote for her regardless. She’s the best all around candidate we have thus far, IMO.

7 Likes

Apparently there’s some discussion on Twitter, but I can’t read Twitter. I know a lot of banks refuse to let sex workers set up accounts because of existing federal pressure such as Operation Choke Point. Which only enables more abuse of sex workers.

4 Likes

Seems like a very poorly named operation for something that targets sex workers

7 Likes
4 Likes

I don’t get this. The Buttigieg thing is way more impressive, because he speaks seven languages fluently in addition to English, and because he appears to have learned Norwegian on his own. So, in this case, the criticism isn’t valid.

People* are interested in Beto and Buttigieg because they’re fresh new faces. They don’t have any baggage weighing them down because they haven’t really done anything yet. They’re flavors of the month that people can get excited about, but this will all pass in time because they’re both empty suits. This excitement and media attention is all for nothing and will pass in a few weeks.

*not me, but people, apparently

The author of this seems like a shill for Gillibrand. Not my favorite candidate, but still better than Beto and Buttigieg. Way worse than Warren. It seems to me that whoever wrote this was throwing allegations of sexism around just because their preferred candidate isn’t more exciting, a better candidate, or both. There is a lot of legitimate media sexism, but it isn’t this.

8 Likes

I’d argue it is, because:

• Mandarin is more important in international politics. All the languages Buttigieg speaks are for countries where loads of people know English anyhow, and for which meeting Americans who know the main language is no big deal. But an American politician knowing Mandarin – that’s a big deal geopolitically.

And it’s not getting reported except as a mic trick.

And the reporter is totally right that it’s exactly the sort of thing women politicians don’t get reported for. Does AOC speak Spanish? She’s got a Spanish-sounding name, but I don’t even know.

7 Likes

My take on it was that it was an interesting factoid about him because he had a) taught it to himself because he wanted to keep reading books by an author he liked and b) kept quiet about it until he happened to speak to a Norwegian, which surprised everyone involved.

I expect politicians to have degrees generally and being conversational in Chinese as an Asian Studies major who has spent time in the country just isn’t that surprising to me. Chinese is a hugely useful language to know and a marketable skill to have but Norwegian is hardly spoken by anyone and it’s much more surprising that someone should learn it for fun.

If I tell people that I have a degree in Japanese, they’re generally much less impressed when they hear me speak it than if they have no idea and I casually switch languages mid-conversation.

If she had been talking to a journalist, then suddenly switched into Hokkien and it turned out she had taught herself in her free time in order to better understand koá-a books (and she didn’t think that it was a big deal), I reckon she’d be getting the same attention regardless of her gender.

I feel like Gillibrand speaking Mandarin (and me speaking Japanese) is about the same level of noteworthiness as someone who studied maths at uni being good at mental arithmetic. If Gillibrand or I suddenly broke into conversational Xhosa, that would surprise a lot of people and would be worthy of comment.

9 Likes
7 Likes