πŸŒŸπŸš€βœ¨ Space Exploration 🌍⭐🌜

Checks out, it’s pretty far from the sun!

10 Likes

One problem I see is that wax would probably not be too sticky at Titan temperatures.

7 Likes

This conversation’s reminding me of an old sci-fi book I read ages ago (which I haven’t been able to remember the title of by googling, darn it), where the characters ended up developing inflatable fins built into their clothing (loosely based on dolphins, IIRC) that could be used to β€œswim” through the atmosphere in low gravity locations…

7 Likes

Cross country ski wax might do it.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Ah hah! Finally found a set of search terms to hit on it. β€œFor The Birds”, by Isaac Asimov.

3 Likes

I smell a fix!

3 Likes
10 Likes

This seems like a good place to post this:

Β­

15 Likes

Alas, the β€œrainbow” is missing green.

2 Likes

I didn’t title it; I was just happy see something inspiring instead of depressing as all hell in the news for once…

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

It is beautiful. My joke is terrible, I see in hindsight.

2 Likes

It’s not easy, being β€œgreen.”

:wink:

11 Likes

What would make a green star, I wonder. I guess all the nucleosynthesis routes bypass copper and the like, or at least drown it out.

5 Likes

Looks like you can only have star colors along the inner black curve (the outer curve being the colours of the rainbow):

14 Likes

If star color is just black body, dependant on temperature (?), where does astro-spectroscopy come in?

3 Likes

I thought it was the other way 'round – the colour of the star told you its temperature.

2 Likes

Yes, but I’m talking about the spectroscopic lines that tell astronomers the makeup of a body in the case of both emitted and reflected light.

1 Like

I think it’s a combination of black body with specific absorption lines, and possibly emmission lines, but not as important as the black body range.

3 Likes

In stellar spectroscopy you’re looking at light being adsorbed, like this:

the black adsorption lines show which elements are present in the star’s atmosphere, as the black-body radiation from the star gets blocked by the mix of colder gaseous elements above the star’s surface.

It doesn’t do much to change the perceived colour of the star, because the black-body radiation is so dominant that the absence of a few spectral lines will go unnoticed unless you look for it.

10 Likes