1 Like
4 Likes

Strobes.

5 Likes

Artwork, apparently.

2 Likes

or blueprints…

2 Likes

More astronomy than space exploration but I always enjoy a good lunar eclipse. And there’s one tomorrow morning!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/30/581890038/wednesdays-rare-super-blue-blood-moon-how-to-see-it-and-what-we-can-learn

6 Likes

Note to self: look West tomorrow morning

5 Likes

Purty…

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180204.html

9 Likes

Couple of screenshots from SpaceX’s live stream of the Tesla that’s currently orbiting the planet:

[edit] Aaand, just as I post that, the live stream goes dark. Figures.

…oop, and now it’s back, for the time being.

9 Likes

the β€œDon’t Panic” is a nice touch. :+1:

6 Likes

That synchronized landing of the two sidecores was beautiful. Pity they lost the centercore, but hey, I’ll take it.

8 Likes

I guess next time they’ll include more triethylborane to reignite the engines for landing.

I just can’t wait to see if the second stage will reignite after six hours in the Van Allen belt.

5 Likes

did they officially say they lost it? reuters was reporting that SpaceX said it landed on the floating platform out in the ocean.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s official.

It was supposed to ignite three of the nine engines for a landing burn, but it ran out of triethylaluminum-triethylborane (the igniter), so it only ended up igniting one. As a result, it crashed into the ocean next to the drone barge at ~300mph and damaged two of the barge’s engines.

ETA:

In happier news:

So, it looks like the only part of the mission that failed was the centre core recovery. Launch, booster separation, second stage separation, booster landing, and all three second stage burns (including one after six hours in the Van Allen belt) all came up aces.

For a test launch that Musk only gave a 50-50 chance of not failing explosively, this was a resounding success.

11 Likes

well, that’s a bummer, but as you say – all things considered, this is an incredible success. my jaw dropped several times, for sure. i’m a bit bitter this morning because clueless internet wags keep trying to paint it as an expensive bit of car marketing, or just an expensive bit of dick swinging, when it clearly was not the point of all of this. i think SpaceX needs to be better at getting that message out BEFORE they do something flashy like this.

5 Likes

Yeah. Sending test payloads out to the vicinity of the asteroid belt is Ceres business.

11 Likes