Star Wars, Anyone?

I thought that as well. Except they really gave away the swing across the chasm scene. Otherwise,refreshingly vague.

1 Like

@howaboutthis
@Wisconsin_Platt

There is one distinct thing that trailer is missing — the score.

It’s amazing how “vacant” the scenes feel without it.

2 Likes

The scores are some of my very least favorite things about Star Wars. Not unlike how I thought that sci-fi movies of the prior ten years were more sophisticated conceptually, the soundtracks were better also. Then again, as a child I very strongly disliked most music, until I discovered the avant garde and post-melody. I can listen to Goldsmith’s scores to Planet of the Apes and Logan’s Run, but Williams’ scores for Star Wars and Superman pretty much epitomize everything I try to avoid in music.

2 Likes

I did notice the distinct lack of John Williams

1 Like

which is surprising, because Williams’ scores for Star Wars are considered modern classics, defining the genre. any composer would be thrilled to achieve what Williams has done for film scores, let alone Star Wars.

5 Likes

Interesting. I’m ambivalent about the music.

I generally like the Williams score because it fits the movie and helps it along. But I’m also very disappointed with it because Williams largely lifted it from Holst.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that’s fair. Williams’ music is plainly very Holstian, and he was open about that influence. But I think his music holds up as distinct if related entries in that tradition, even beyond the way it fits the movie – very little of the prequels worked for me, but still liked much of the score. Why wouldn’t I appreciate that someone has continued in Holst’s footsteps?

For music I think we might also distinguish some personal appeal from craftsmanship. We know different people have different taste in genres; plainly someone who prefers post-melody is not going to like the Romantic tradition, or vice versa, but hopefully we don’t imagine stuff that isn’t our thing is inherently without merit.

But I am a little curious, @Popo_Bawa, what you think of Williams when he isn’t doing melodic stuff. There are things like Minority Report where he’s mostly just providing ambient mood. Are they any more to your taste?

2 Likes

I thought Lucas hired him on because Williams played the type of music that Lucas wrote the script to, i.e. the score was also directed by Lucas. My source here was the interview Lucas did for the films’ re-release for home video in the mid-nineties.

It could be. Perhaps Lucas liked William’s ability to evoke the work of other composers.

And I’m just going to say this — the main theme from Jaws is a combination of the 4th movement from Dvořák"s Symphony No. 9 and the Rite of Spring.

2 Likes

And in turn Symphony No. 9 was meant to evoke the music of black and Native Americans, though whether actual motifs made it in is has been debated to this day. Either way, I guess I just don’t see why reworking things should be seen as so disappointing. There is after all a lot more of that sort of thing in Star Wars than just its music, right?

2 Likes

that’s more-or-less how I remember him explaining it.

I later noticed in the link @LockeCJ posted there is a thing on Williams’ score, though I only just now briefly skimmed it. They want to make the case that Williams is synthesizing and moving beyond his obvious references rather than plagiarizing, but then again what else are they going to say?

3 Likes

Yes, I looked at that article too. Lucus says he wrote the script to music. Perhaps he had guide pieces of music chosen that he wanted Williams to follow?

There was a similar situation with scoring 2001: A Space Odyssey. Kubrick initially had Alex North write a score for the film following various cues he had chosen. But in the end Kubrick decided to keep the original cues instead of the new score.

3 Likes

I don’t dislike the score. When I was young I thought it was great. In some ways it (and also various pieces by Spike Jones) was my introduction to orchestral music.

But as I grew and heard more music, I began to realize the score is quite a pastiche.

1 Like

After watching Star Wars as a kid, I rushed home and made alien eyes out of egg cartons.

5 Likes

It may nod to Holst and be inspired by it, but “lifted”, no. No part of the Star Wars score was literally stolen from Holst. Big difference, as others have pointed out.

His score to the newest film was largely a continuation of what he’d done before, but Rey’s Theme is one of the prettiest melodies he’s come up with in a long time.

4 Likes

it’s amazing how embedded Williams is to the feel of all things Star Wars. my only real disappointment in seeing Rogue One was that the music did nothing for me outside of the pointed nods to Williams’ themes. walking out of the theater, i could barely remember any of the music outside of the classic themes. That doesn’t happen when John Williams does SW music.

5 Likes

I’m often a fan of Michael Giacchino’s scores, and like many people, assumed that one day he’d take over the reigns as composer for Star Wars, but I agree that his first defacto Star Wars score was surprisingly workmanlike. No memorable new themes, no stirring arrangements. It felt more like he was playing it very safe with sound-alike bits without really stepping up yet. The music for Star Wars Rebels does a better job of sounding like Star Wars while taking new detours.

yes, i hope that’s the case. i love Williams’ work, but i know he won’t be around forever. it would be great if another talented conductor picked up where he left off and took us all forward. maybe Giacchino will do it.

3 Likes

I agree. I noticed the music was not as exciting, too.