Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I congratulate you on your restraint.

I recently had to rather heroically (if I may say so myself) resist the urge to send an after-the-fact email to a consultant with a link to the documentation that says exactly the opposite of what he claimed it said when he was on site.

Itā€™s not that he was wrong (we all make mistakes, especially me), itā€™s that he was such a smug asshole about it. :rage:

12 Likes

Well.

Iā€™ve FINALLY joined the 21st century and have a smartphone! But Iā€™m having problems activating it. That dost grindeth mine gears most grievously.

(look for a post in the ā€œVictory! Iā€™m a Rockstar!ā€ thread when I finally DO get it activated)

12 Likes

My first smartphone, they accidentally activated everything EXCEPT voice calls. That took a while to explain.

11 Likes

That would have taken me weeks to notice. I find I carry a pocket computer that incidentally can receive phone calls. Which I let go to voice mail.

10 Likes

Voicemail think Iā€™ve heard the legends.

4 Likes

Netzero. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I used to use their 3G stick to get my laptop online. But given I use my phone more often, and my dad and I both have Kindles, it seemed like a good time to upgrade to a WiFi hotspot.

And thatā€™s where the troubles startedā€¦

The first hotspot I was sent (two weeks ago!) refused to activate on their network (and threw up a Sprint customer support phone number every time it failed.) It took multiple calls to Netzeroā€™s Customer So-Called-Support for them to recognize the device as defective. Getting informations and directions out of them was difficult; one gentleman I spoke to seemed to be trying to rush through our interaction as quickly as possible to get to the next caller. After multiple attempts to access the network with both laptop and phone, via multiple browsers, in multiple locations (I had to haul the whole kit and caboodle to my local park, since they insisted I needed to try to connect in a wide, open area!) they finally acknowledged I got a bad device and decided to send a new hotspot.

It came in todayā€™s mail. I gleefully set it up, it completed the activationā€¦ only to land me at a Boost Mobile setup page.

What? Iā€™m a Netzero customer. I call againā€¦

ā€¦ā€œOur offices are closed. Please call again during business hoursā€¦ā€

I search for a live chat option. Canā€™t find one.

In desperation, I find a Boost Mobile number and call them. The device isnā€™t on their network, but theyā€™d be glad to set up an account with meā€¦ for more money.

At this point, theyā€™re probably lucky nobodyā€™s on the line at Netzero, because Iā€™m boiling mad and about five seconds from cancelling my account. It must be really nice to take peopleā€™s money all month long, yet only offer support during business hours. Nice way to value their customers, huh? Especially when the nice Boost Mobile operator tells me theyā€™re willing to give me 10 GB a month for $50, when Iā€™m paying more at Netzero for only 4 GBā€¦

Mondayā€™s phone call should be very interesting.

9 Likes

Seems legit.

6 Likes

True, and I understand why they asked. There was a chance something nearby was interfering with the deviceā€™s ability to connect. Going to the park proved that wasnā€™t the case.

Itā€™s just been a long and frustrating process. And now that I know another provider might be able to give me a better deal, Iā€™m really tempted to switch.

10 Likes

We get redlines to work instructions. So many things overriding the drawings, formfitfunction. I call them Dude-fallacies, because thatā€™s like, just, yā€™know, your opinion, man. Rejected.

6 Likes

Tobacco smoke coming through the ventilation, shutting down my throat.

3 Likes

Mice in the ceiling. I hear you racing.

11 Likes

Poison in the ventilation system, getting worse. Trouble breathing. Open window to dilute poison, then go outside to get fresh air. Poison blasted at me from behind a corner. Get away. Poison again. Throat burning. Stay alert, watch for poison, keep my distance, keep my mask handyā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry, I should have included the /sarcasm tag in my post. I was using the ironic/sarcastic meaning of the phrase, where ā€œseems legitā€ = ā€œthis is an obvious con and/or BSā€.

I just meant that it sounded like they were giving you the run-around to keep from sending you a new device, and that the ā€œtry it in the parkā€ bit sounded especially egregious. I feel like if it doesnā€™t work at your house, it kind of doesnā€™t matter if it works at the park (unless thatā€™s where you plan to use it most of the time :grinning:).

Best of luck getting it resolved.

7 Likes

Oh, that definitely ran through my head at the time! (I thought I was being overly grouchy.) Butā€¦ I know just enough of computers to consider that just might have been an issue. And testing it in the park meant I could say, ā€œI did everything you told me to and it still doesnā€™t work, now you fix it,ā€ and make it stick.

Though itā€™s getting ā€œbetterā€ā€¦ I fired off a grouchy-but-still-polite email Saturday night about the connection issue and the lack of help. Today I got a reply asking me for device and SIM card ID numbers. I sent them (without any further comment.) The answering email was full of stock-phrased sympathy for my frustration and all kinds of promises that theyā€™d have it fixed soon. Theyā€™re putting one of their senior technicians on it, donā€™tcha know. But since senior technicians collaborate to solve problems, it could still take another one to two days to find the solutionā€¦ :roll_eyes:

I have my suspicions. I believe theyā€™re sending out used, reconditioned equipment. Which is fine-- if it worked. It would explain why the first unit gave the Sprint # when it failed (due to a botched repair), and the second unit attempts to connect me to Boost Mobile. Iā€™m still highly tempted to drop Netzero and sign up with Boostā€¦ but Iā€™m wondering just how far this ā€œtechnical supportā€ is going to go. :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

The T-Mobile signal at my house is terrible. The signal IN MY ROOM is particularly terrible, forcing me to wander around the house when somebody calls me on the phone.

Online resources for mapping cell towers and carriers seem to have improved a lot. AntennaSearch.com says the tower thatā€™s both closest (about 1600 feet) and most elevated above the horizon (by 2.7 degrees) is operated by Sprint (dba ā€œSTC Fiveā€), so I guess I should be looking at Sprint, Boost, or Virgin.

7 Likes

>sigh< Finally managed to resolve the WiFi sitch (NetZero managed to activate the hotspot, and Iā€™m still with them for now, since Iā€™m still wavering between signing up with Boost or Calyx.) Which I guess is good, since my cell phone just died today. :scream: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :sob:

My poor olā€™ Samsung Galaxy s4 was only four years oldā€¦ I suspect the charging port (and/or battery) went bad. It might be fixable, if I can find a place to do that (the ones I can walk to are closed today or donā€™t repair that model.) Iā€™ve got a line on two shops to talk to tomorrow. As much as Iā€™d like something new, the prices are too much for my budget at the moment. So Iā€™m hoping for a fixā€¦ and glad Iā€™ve still got net access, and phone via the houseā€™s landline. So Iā€™m not completely cut off from the world. :wink:

7 Likes

Have you tried just sticking a new battery in. You can pop the back off and replace them with no trouble.

2 Likes

I thought I might have another battery, but I donā€™t have it handy. I should be able to get one off Amazon pretty easily. But, looking at the ā€œtongueā€ part of the micro-USB portā€¦ it looks misaligned, as if one end has bent inward just a little. It will probably take a couple of days to get it checked out, and I can manage without it. Itā€™s justā€¦ annoying to realize how much we come to depend on the silly little things!

edit for minor spelling error: come, not cone

6 Likes

If you try getting a replacement battery, try and get a set of two with their own recharger. That way you could recharge the batteries outside of the phone with the recharger, no matter the state of the USB port. (At least, thatā€™s what I did.)

7 Likes

You can buy cards that you slip between the case and the battery that add wireless charging to the s4:

Iā€™ve not tried one personally so I canā€™t vouch for how effective they are but the installation seems very straightforward and itā€™s probably cheaper than a repairā€¦

6 Likes