Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I literally can’t even.

I should be putting the laptop in my bag, grabbing my coat and going home, but the thought of the commute on top of everything else is just too much.

Oh, well…

Suck it up and Drive On.

9 Likes

So… it’s a horribly cruel cautionary tale?

Because that’s what the real, non sugar-coated stories were, before Disney homogenized and whitewashed them in the name of capitalism.

Many original ‘faerie tales’ from both Grimm and Andersen don’t have “happy endings.”

4 Likes

Nah. More like… when I went there, we were hanging out in the famous main square, like tourists do, and this wedding party came bicycling up. Everyone was in fancy clothes from the waist up, and practical jeans and comfy shoes from the waist down. They took wedding photos in front of the big fountain, then rode off again. The bride and groom rode a tandem bike.

Later we did a historical tour of the old city in a horse and buggy. Halfway through the horse gets a mandatory break, and I asked if I could scratch his ears since he kept trying to shift the harness around. The horse liked the ear scritchies so much he pushed his head against my hand when I went to take it away, and the guide extended the break a couple minutes until the horse was ready to get back to work.

All that and loads of medieval architecture.

10 Likes

That’s what makes my name redundant.

Pixies aren’t nice.

8 Likes

@gadgetgirl;

That actually sounds pretty cool.

Real talk; in all the stories I read, they were some malicious, spiteful little fuckers.

If one reads the original versions, it seems like most of the fey were…

7 Likes

It would only be polite to let people know that I’m leaving this site for a while which may be permanent. You are all very nice people, it has often been fun, but recently I have felt more and more strongly that I don’t fit. I have also decided that the problems facing my own country are so severe that I should be spending my time trying to support people doing something about them rather than taking an interest in US affairs. From here the US is an increasingly strange, foreign country that has a largely malign influence on us, but there’s nothing I can do about that. Perhaps things will change after November. Perhaps my perspective will change. I’m making this post purely to let people know that I won’t be seeing any responses to any past ones of mine, so if you don’t get a reply I am not ignoring you.

12 Likes

15 Likes

Not really, more of a Shakespearean tragedy in that everybody dies violently in the end.

I was riffing on some of the comments that quote the movie, In Bruges. The “it’s like a fucking fairy tale” is one of the recurring lines in the movie as the plot becomes increasingly surreal and each new character is revealed as a horrible person.

The joke is that old town Bruges really is a fairy-tale city: canals, gingerbread-like houses, tiny beautiful gardens, historic architecture. And I have yet to encounter any Irish hit men here. Plus the movie is great and you can see my office for about two seconds in one of the scenes. :rofl:

14 Likes

I am so envious. All that and the best chocolate in the world.

6 Likes

Ah, no wonder it went over my head; haven’t seen that flick though I do like Colin Farrell.

That sounds cool, plus:

I may not know much, but I know Godiva originated in Belgium.

6 Likes

I will miss your thoughtful posts. Best wishes!

4 Likes

So come on over. At the moment, requests for political asylum are being taken very seriously in .be in particular and in most parts of the EU generally. The rising tide of American neo-fascism is a real fear to people who have seen it happen before.

It was a huge move for us, and not without problems, and it took a year of planning and preparation. But we’ve settled in and are enjoying our life, frenetic though it is. All in all it’s been great. We who try to live our dreams are eternally satisfied.

8 Likes

That’s not going to help us Canadians!

Last time this fascist groove thing happened, my family was based in eastern Netherlands. We’ve got a knack for being right next to chaos.

7 Likes

American-Gods-Easter-just-fine

5 Likes

American-gods-mad sweeney_chewing

3 Likes

Long days, and pleasant nights.

4 Likes

you admirably sum up how i feel much of the time. except for me, “from here” is north central texas.

be well, let us all be well.

12 Likes

Ave atque vale. I’ll miss your non-North American perspective. Maybe our paths will cross again.

6 Likes

Pixie4

7 Likes

That’s nice!

/snickers

7 Likes