Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Journalist that just write a short intro paragraph followed by 30 random tweets.

• I get that sometimes something noteworthy happens on Twitter and showing those specific tweets by specific people involved is relevant.
7 Likes

Stuff That Really ā€˜Grinds My Gearsā€¦ā€™

manual transmissions

11 Likes

Would that be the transmission? Or the operator?

:wink: {ducks}

4 Likes

With people drowning in Texas maybe the rest of us are not supposed to complain about the weather, but here in Oregon we have six days of ā€œwidespread smokeā€ to look forward to:

$ forecast
HEAT ADVISORY
RED FLAG WARNING
FIRE WEATHER WATCH
FRIDAY: Sunny, with a high near 89. North northwest wind 6 to 9 mph.
SATURDAY: Widespread smoke. Sunny, with a high near 95. Northwest wind
   3 to 5 mph.
SUNDAY: Widespread smoke. Sunny, with a high near 93.
LABOR DAY: Widespread smoke. Sunny, with a high near 95.
TUESDAY: Widespread smoke. Sunny and hot, with a high near 98.
WEDNESDAY: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms.  Widespread
   smoke. Mostly sunny, with a high near 92.
THURSDAY: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms.  Widespread
   smoke. Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.
3 Likes

Total displacement of my feelings about how fucked up the world is, but I just remembered that they killed Picardā€™s brotherā€™s family off-screen in First Contact and I am LIVID.

5 Likes

I was just told that my work was ā€œwrong and needs to be done againā€ because the spreasheet was sorted by a column other than the one they prefer.

When I mentioned that it was a matter of sorting, and I could definitely sort on any column they prefer, and that they could also sort by any column they prefer, they laughed at me, like I was the one whose grip on spreadsheets is lacking. OK, whatever, as long as the checks clear I donā€™t care. But, it grinds my gears to be told that my work is poor because they fundamentally misunderstand what they are asking me for.

15 Likes

If they are that dumb then Iā€™d tack on an extra 8 hours to ā€œfixā€ the issue.

11 Likes

For extra fun, update in front of them and then have them tell you that youā€™re ā€œtoo technicalā€.

(Last week someone missed some of my comments on a spreadsheet because they were visually looking for the little red triangles, and not just clicking the ā€œnext commentā€ button. If you donā€™t know how to do something, cool[ish], but donā€™t make me the bad guy for knowing it, especially when itā€™s right on the damn toolbar.)

12 Likes

Meatwall in progress. Yet again.

3 Likes

There are times Iā€™ve put $2 or $5 in an accessible pocket, promising it to the first non-aggressive panhandler I see. There are times I just go tunnel vision and refuse to acknowledge anyone. There are times Iā€™m two blocks down the street and the plight of someone I passed fills me with enough emotion to go back.

I donā€™t care if people are using some small amount of cash to buy alcohol or marijuana. They could be self-medicating something the local community hasnā€™t been able to provide better help for, and entertainment options for the poor are limited. If Iā€™m not currently actively working to provide healthier options for them, a few bucks is at least something.

When I needed it, I was still too proud to beg for cash but sometimes people gave me something anyway. Bought a cheap hot burger that was a welcome relief from my diet at the time, and a cheap pair of gloves that might have saved my fingers from frostbite. I was a transient and in some denial about the seriousness of my situation so no local charity could have helped me.

FWIW those small acts during my time of need have made me a much more generous person when I became re-established. The small amount of cash and time I received has multiplied significantly. Maybe not everyone in a bad situation will be able to get out of it, but for those who can the rewards might be huge. Beats buying lottery tickets, anyway.

11 Likes

When I lived in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco, there was always a row of 6-10 panhandlers along the wall of the building Iā€™d pass on my way to the bus every day. They were low-key, just ā€œspare change?ā€ kinda people. I got in the habit of keeping a pocketful of change, dimes or quarters, and giving one to each on most mornings when Iā€™d remember. It was a very crappy neighborhood and after a few weeks of doing that, the panhandlers physically stopped me from being mugged several times. It was a pretty good investment, turned out.

The panhandlers where I live now are almost all either obvious college students or guys ā€˜sellingā€™ the Spare Change News, and I donā€™t give them anything beyond buying the paper here and there.

8 Likes

Thought they were dead by generations?

1 Like

Yes - I got the movie wrong! Still pissed.

3 Likes

Well you should go to paramount and tell them,
The line must be drawn herre this far no further.

1 Like

The first thing we do, letā€™s kill all theā€¦ no, not the lawyers. Iā€™m willing to give them a free pass today.

Iā€™m after:

• Webinar software where you have to sign up ahead of time, because limited spaces
  • Said software claims it is multi-platform, but only mentions WIndoze and Mac. Except before I read that I click on the link on my Android phone, and oh look! it works there too.
  • Despite claiming to be platform-independent, does not let me log in from Ubuntu.
  • Once logged out (of my phone), does not let me log back in again.

And most importantly: does not have a test ā€œroomā€ where I can find out all this crap before the webinar starts.

It was free, so I suppose I should stop whining soon, but I booked time in my work calendar to make sure I could attend, dammit. There might be a recording later, but fuck.

And the thing is, I would say this is true for at least 50% of webinar software out there. So people are supposed to just sign up and cross their fingers? Fuck that. Make it fucking work.

The funny bit: this particular service (Webinarninja) brags about how theyā€™re easier to use than Google Hangouts. You know, Hangouts ā€“ which really is platform-independent.

ETA: I received a link to the recorded version of the webinar. Apparently 500 people signed up for 100 spaces. Which begs the question: why not set a limit on signing up? Why did I have to sign up two weeks early only to find out it was really about who could afford to book time off work early enough to sign up to the webinar?

10 Likes

Taking a class in something mind-stretching. The best thing I ever did was to take some writersā€™ classes. Met a great bunch of people. Thank you, George, wherever you are.

5 Likes

And also the question why limit the virtual ā€˜spacesā€™, given that itā€™s the internet. Surely that didnā€™t come from the fire marshal measuring the size and exits of their web venueā€¦ There are technical limits on group video chat (everyone in simultaneous all-way video/audio streams) but webinars are just one stream broadcasting to everyone else.

Why even have signups? Or webinar software? Why not just use scheduled live streams with the streamer picking questions from the scrolling side chat the way they do on Twitch and Youtube? They can handle thousands of viewers with no software to install and no nonsense about signups and limits.

6 Likes

Because thatā€™s how you collect the emails.

In e-biz, they say if you have 5000 emails on your list, you can make a million dollars.

Once you have the emails, you can advertise directly to people who have expressed an interest, over and over again, virtually free.

4 Likes

Agreed ā€“ in fact, I know from the replay that was part of the webinar!

Iā€™d argue that for this case it backfired. The webinar was informative, but also a promotion for a paid course.

After fighting with the webinar site only to discover that ā€œattendee already in meetingā€ is also the error message for ā€œmeeting fullā€, Iā€™m not so interested in paying money to be frustrated.

Iā€™ve been burned once before ā€“ I signed up for a course where the Linux version of the courseware didnā€™t work. So I would Skype in for the audio only, while everyone else got to share screens etc. No system requirements were available for me to check ahead of time. The other attendees were conference call newbies and, well, kinda ableist (given that for the purposes of the course I was working blind).

I actually really love on-line learning, so I guess it bothers me a lot when people donā€™t plan or test thoroughly.

6 Likes

Get $200 from each of them?

I donā€™t buy that, especially because their spending patterns will be a scale free distribution. The bulk will buy nothing. In order to make your million, you will need a few big spenders spending in the tens of thousands. Not even sure how youā€™d pull that off unless youā€™re selling something really expensive

2 Likes