Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

So much this.

9 Likes

My mother ADORED the series, hated the film. (Remember, she’d been born in 1926.)

3 Likes

I still have my Gregg secretarial handbook around somewhere. It’s like a Grammar Bible.

3 Likes

From Brooklyn 99:

Rosa: Where were you? This is chaos. Gina’s been filing evidence by “perp hotness”.

5 Likes

Everyone knows you file files under “F” for “folder.” Or maybe it’s “file.”

3 Likes

The upstairs neighbors have been hammering away with their exercise machines.

I have been getting seasick.

My brother decided to complain.

The upstairs neighbors are hammering harder.

P.S. Upstairs, 3 floors away.

P.P.S. They offered to try a few things to reduce the shaking.

3 Likes

I share my brother’s artwork on FB but he doesn’t share mine. Should I be passive-aggressive or politely confrontational?

2 Likes

When people respond to a description of a weapon being “less-lethal” with stuff like “It should be 'less than lethal, because you can’t be partway dead.”

Wrong.

“Less-lethal” means that in the aggregate the odds of the weapon’s use causing a fatality are less than what the odds of a standard firearm are. Overall, they cause less deaths than guns. They are less lethal. Hell, even Star Trek had situations where the magical stun setting on a phaser turned out deadly.

They are not non-lethal in any given case, which is what the term “less-than-lethal” implies. That term contributes to lowering the mental barriers to accepting use. This, in turn, increases our acceptance of violence especially police violence (as they are usually the ones in possession of such alternatives). Human beings like quick solutions and shortcuts, especially if we can convince ourselves that no one got seriously hurt.

It may seem pedantic to worry about a single word in a phrase, but understanding the effects of that word, and what those phrases really mean, can make it a big deal. The dangers of a world where people – especially people in positions of power – feel the need for tools of easy violence to feel safe isn’t actually a safe world for anyone living in it.

11 Likes

Right. They were called “non-lethal,” then “less-lethal” as a more accurate description, now the police and arms industries say “less than lethal,” which implies that they’re non-lethal and lesser for it.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, the “less than lethal” phrasing has been picked up by people who don’t realize it’s propaganda for these types of weapons.

It’s annoying, because they’re advocating for something that they claim to not be in favour of.

8 Likes

I can’t find Grape Nuts anywhere!

4 Likes

Zombie Euell Gibbons is hoarding it?

5 Likes

Good news: Bro came over with lotsa paperbound MAD magazine and Silver-Age comic-book collections , as well as lotsa genealogical stuff on a thumb drive and he gave me $20.

Bad news: He brought me a bass guitar, not the acoustic he was going to lend me.

4 Likes

I have not thought of having gravel for breakfast since before my father passed

It’s neither grape nor nuts. But I suddenly have a desire for a bowl.

5 Likes

It’s all in the planning. Pour the bowl about 10 minutes before hand.

Ever eat a pine tree?

4 Likes

Hey, this is stuff that was goin’ on when I was a kid…my dad was a first-year subscriber to The Mother Earth News, lol.

One can cook it like oatmeal and add whatever else to it that one likes and it’s not bad that way. Just about any crunchy cold dry cereal can be prepared in this manner.

4 Likes

Yes. I believe I did 2 parts milk, 2 parts GrapeNuts, 1 part Peanut Butter.

Microwave 90 seconds.

Stir thoroughly.

Let cool.

Reasonably edible at that point.

4 Likes

i love that stuff. i agree with @RAvery: give it a 10-minute soak (or so) and have at it. so tasty.

3 Likes

I was the weird kid that liked Grape Nuts (back then I had teeth to crunch with), Shredded Wheat, Fruit & Fiber, and the granola cereals.

4 Likes

An update:

4 Likes