Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Excessive work this week to be followed by a vacation next week and I started feeling like crap this morning.

Joy.

7 Likes

This is more like petty annoyance, but I’m looking to buy an eReader, specifically one that doesn’t require me to go through the rigmarole of installing wine, winetricks, 32-bit app of Adobe Digital Editions with all these other ‘gotcha’ utilities and apps, and creating tons of accounts, and over half the Kindle ads I see on Craigslist don’t mention if they have special offers.

E.g. of companion install for Adobe Digital Editions 1.7 (the current one doesn’t play well in WINE, I have read)
"suggested installs: opencl-icd:i386"
sudo apt-get install opencl-icd:i386
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package opencl-icd:i386 is a virtual package provided by:
nvidia-opencl-icd-384:i386 384.90-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
nvidia-opencl-icd-340:i386 340.102-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
nvidia-opencl-icd-304:i386 304.135-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
mesa-opencl-icd:i386 11.2.0-1ubuntu2.2
beignet-opencl-icd:i386 1.1.1-2
You should explicitly select one to install.

E: Package ‘opencl-icd:i386’ has no installation candidate

Hurrdurr, such a cinch, right?

Is it likely I’m the only person in a metropolitan area of 2 million people who would care if special offers were on a used Kindle?

ETA: just went to Reddit, learned from a five-year-old news itemthat in my vicinity 1 in 124 people own a Kindle eReader. Is it still likely that in a metropolitan area of 16,129 Kindle readers I would be the only one who finds ‘special offers’ in eReaders unnecessary and objectionable?
Do North Americans fidget or take their stress out on others if they don’t meet a minimum Required Daily Allowance of ads?

3 Likes

Large, small, or what?

I have a lot of trouble with pdfs and djvus with @#$% jpeg-2000 images, and would like some way to test whether pdfs are compatible with my e-readers short of… installing them, checking, uninstalling, trying to reprocess, installing them, checking, etc.

1 Like

Size of ads doesn’t matter to me, as I don’t want any of them. When I read a physical book, I don’t think “I need to take a break and look at some ads.” I don’t believe ads are required in reading books (although I have noticed some legitimate trade nonfiction books are practically ads for the author’s website, products), ergo they are unnecessary in electronic media when I have already spent money on the unit, and possibly on electronic format materials.

2 Likes

I meant “size of reader.” I haven’t encountered e-reader ads. I have to block web ads to keep them from triggering migraines.

I’d like an eReader’s screen size to be at least 6". My phone allows some eReader apps but I’m not into small screens, ergo not into the small print.

1 Like

I got a used Kindle Dx, but had to wait for a good sale. Occasionally a $40 one turns up before it reverts to the $200+ price range. No ads. I had to replace the usb cord, and have to reprocess a lot of pdfs because too many have edit passwords, or have jpeg-2000 images, or are scanned as jpeg-2000 images. But it has a big non-touch screen, and it has buttons, so that’s good for me.

A couple years ago I bought some Mutex foam to protect agains backup beaters. It didn’t work. Now I moved my desk and stuff to slip the foam under because maybe it would at least protect against bass-blasters and gear-grinders which shake the building. It hasn’t been working there either.

1 Like

We had a fire drill recently at work, and flunked miserably because the firewarden didn’t have an employee list to check off. The other warden who did know where the list was, was sick.

So, me and another employee suggested a clipboard by the main exit with a list, and that whoever is exiting by that door grab the clipboard and give it to the firewarden. That is it.

First firewarden liked the idea. Manager liked the idea. Went to second (had been sick) warden to say we could work on getting it up next week and was told “again with that damn list. All we have to do is print up a list when we know when the drill is, and it’s fine. We don’t need everybody checking off different lists.”

I tried to explain that no, there wouldn’t be a separate checking off, all the person with the clipboard was to do is give it to the firewarden. No, I was told, that would be redundant. We have a list. An OSH committee member agreed that it’s just redundant, and neither one seemed to understand that no one other than the warden if they needed it would take roll or check anyone off the list. “We have a list, that would be redundant.”

Redundancy is rather the point. Especially since the one they have hasn’t been updated in over a year and nobody knows because only the wardens can see it (I got that from the conversation). If everyone could see the list, we could keep it up to date.

Why can’t people understand that transparency and redundancy in safety systems is a good thing? Especially redundancy. Things can and do frequently go wrong, especially when the emergency is real. If you never engage the redundancy, that’s fantastic. But you’ll be damn lucky you have it it you need it.

17 Likes

If it helps: where I work, there is a sign in the elevator lobby of every floor telling you what floor you’re on and which way all the meeting rooms are.

On the back of that sign is the list. The fire warden or anyone else can grab it on the way out. The plastic cover of the sign becomes the clip board.

11 Likes

I just can’t get over how hostile these people are to the idea,and how they refuse to wrap their heads around the idea that you’re not going to have two people doing checklists, you’re just ensuring that the person who does the checking at least has a list. If they have two and just use their own and ignore the backup, tell me where the harm is.

Because while they are claiming “we have a plan and it works”, clearly it doesn’t. Not when the absence of one person throws it into disarray. It’s like I am accusing them personally, by trying to use an easy (and cheap) solution to help plug a hole, rather than relying on the hope that all the key people are present and not incapacitated when the real thing happens.

9 Likes

And that’s passable(?) for a fire drill, but in the even of an actual fire I’d hate to perish because the printer was out of magenta ink.

Give people a title and it goes to their head.

Tangentially related, one manufacturing plant I worked in had a “Fire Warden” who checked fire extinguishers and who knows what else because during a large RIF, he was some of the low hanging fruit to be picked.

Month later, we had a surprise inspection from the fire department and they knew where all the “problems” were.

11 Likes

From what you said, it seems pretty obviously about their pride.

Besides, if the list is easy to get to, anyone could take the roll call! It would be anarchy!

9 Likes

Well, I can understand not wanting panic when three people have incomplete lists.

It just occurred to me, though that these people are not very computer savvy (they can do basic stuff, enough to function in an office, but not much more) the idea of redundancies and backups is not as familiar a concept to them as it is to those of us who grew up on “save early and save often”. They’ve also grown up in cities that have largely escaped disaster.

I am… average with computers, but am enough of a data nerd to cry in the event of harddrive failure, and hate having to rebuild everything when a phone gets killed (or at least everything since the last backup). I also grew up in a rural area that saw bad flooding on average four times every year. I have learned that you can’t count on anything going to plan and that shit happens faster than you think. But until you have actually had to deal with more than “just a drill”, sometimes it’s hard to comprehend the reality.

ETA: This is not a value judgement on rural versus urban upbringing, but an observation born from the fact that more isolated areas often spend time cut off from services. Urban areas that have never faced a significant emergency often have nothing but drills which can’t fully simulate the chaos that a real emergency brings. This is why I am cynical about the kinds of drills for emergencies where you can’t trigger a Pavlovian response (fire and evacuation drills work because we react to the bell, not the actual emergency) because people are really, really bad at thinking during the actual event.

6 Likes

Incidentally, thank you for confirming that I am not entirely off-base on this. I know I can think a few degrees off normal at times, and it’s nice to know that I really am not out of my mind and that I didn’t need my head ripped off over this.

Honestly, that was my thought. If all you’re concerned with is passing the test, you’re doing it wrong. Drills aren’t just for fun or show – they’re both a test of how well your system works (and whether you need to plug holes) and they’re a way of ensuring that you don’t have to think. You just do. If the only time you make sure everything is in order t is during a once-yearly scheduled test, then I am officially terrified.

Of course, the warden who said that is also the one who (in a previous drill) mocked me slightly for ensuring I had my keys, jacket, wallet and lunch cooler. She lives half a block from work, I live 35 km away. If there’s a real fire, I want the ability to go home, too. Plus, I can grab all those things, lock my computer and still be the first person out the door, because I’ve practiced and don’t stand around asking questions like “Is this real?”

Okay, it’s official. I am way too stressed out about this. Time to go play stupid games.

11 Likes

So theres a fire everyone gets out the building except the fire warden whos currently booting up the computer, finding the file, opening the file, printing the file and leaving the oh wait they died.

6 Likes

Heres one to try.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7867861.stm

1 Like

If I go outside to relax, I get hammered with the gorram construction noise. I have a neurological condition where pain can hurt, so I am sick of this pain.

4 Likes

But the world is now one jobsworth the fewer, so that’s possibly a net gain.

Making the survival of people dependent on their planning for their part of disaster fighting could lead to much more robust systems.

For instance, British civil servants used to boast to one another that they had now reached the level at which in event of nuclear war they had a place in a hardened bunker.

I am told (but am not in a position to verify)* that there is a UK bunker where the civil servants and generals will occupy the hardened bottom level.
Unfortunately the vehicles are on the top level and the water storage, aircon and food are on the next level down.
And that’s what a classical education gets you.

The Germans were equally brilliant in WW1. They built special armored bunkers called Stollen to mass troops before an attack. Two small design faults:
Prone to flooding
Too crowded to sleep in so if the attack was cancelled the troops were subjected to shelling as they returned to their lines.

3 Likes

Lack of respect from students, such as:

Students chatting in the middle of my lecture, like I’m not standing there doing my god damn job, right in front of them. As if they aren’t there to get an education, but to socialize.

Bonus: Students arguing with me, in front of the class, about their grade. How about come to my office hours to discuss it?

Seriously, it makes me feel like chopped liver… and I know this is much less common for male professors. And in both cases, these were young women disrespecting me.

ouran-HS-host-club-haruhi-mad

14 Likes

The level below the hardened bottom level? Or the level just below the vehicles?

1 Like