Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Pedant: you set the white without setting the yolk. Like soft-boiled eggs or the onsen tamago you get with ramen. Whites have protein — that’s why you can make meringue out of them. Yolks don’t have protein.

3 Likes

This suggests that the white does not fully set until just past 70C, at which point the yolk is set. However, I’m not sufficiently hung up on whether I was correct or not to reproduce the experiment.

This article notes that the egg white has more protein than the yolk. But it also has much more volume. The yolk contains more protein per cent.

https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/2011/10/11/the-nurtional-value-of-egg-whites-versus-egg-yolks-what-do-you-use/

One of us is wrong, and I have the beginnings of a feeling it may not be me.

3 Likes

OK, but I’m telling you, onsen tamago is awesome stuff. The whites set at 63C, if you want to be fussy, but I guess if you’re talking fully set as in “rubbery”, then you’re right and I’m happy to be wrong.

3 Likes

I hope next time I get partnered with a man in martial arts he can accomplish at least two of the following:

• Able to follow the teacher’s instructions
  • Fit enough to make it through most of the class
  • Doesn’t continually critique my technique when I’m actually better than him

None of the women I get partnered with have any problem with these things…

(Sorry for the interruption, you may now return to your steamy discussions)

10 Likes

Ugh, all three of those in one person, in one session? Sorry to hear you got stuck with that.

5 Likes

I’d say the last two guys I got paired with each had two of those traits.

5 Likes

:blush: Sorry. I left my auto thread derailer on.

Re your refreshingly on-topic post, I have a theory based on a gross generalization and a simplistic stereotype.

Women take martial arts to feel less unsafe in their daily lives. Men take martial arts to feel dominant, to feel they can kick anyone’s ass. Guess who listens to instructions better.

(This theory is less applicable to individuals who have committed to years of training.)

9 Likes

I am always tired. I see a lot of advice about sleep hygeine, etc. But does anyone know of advice on how to get enough sleep when people wake you the fuck up with bright and/or strobing lights and/or helicopter noise in the middle of the fucking night?

I see one piece of advice, which suggests making sure your room is completely dark and completely quiet… and how the fuck do I do that? The blackout curtains do nothing!!!

5 Likes

This is why I am loving roller-derby. It’s so positive and constructive, with none of that bullshit.

Even though in martial arts guys ought to know that if they aren’t teaching, they shouldn’t criticise. Especially if they don’t have the qualifications. The general divide I have noticed is that men want to tell you what you are doing wrong to correct you, women want to show you how to do it right.

8 Likes

I’m not a fan of spotty hotel wifi.

6 Likes

Roller Derby as a martial art?

:thinking:

3 Likes

It has been described as a rolling brawl, so why not? I wouldn’t want to take on a league player. Especially not when there’s a whole pack.

7 Likes

What are sold as blackout curtains, often are not heavy enough. You might try a quilt or thick blanket instead of curtains. You might need to use several, and attach them to the wall above and to the sides of the window, rather than a curtain rod. It might not look great, but get enough thick fabric together and it will keep the light out.

Sorry, I don’t have a suggestion for sounds, though, because I find earplugs very uncomfortable.

6 Likes

How about a white noise generator? There are a lot of them available on, say, Amazon.

4 Likes

I’ve got air filters. One can get pretty loud. I usually keep it at a low setting so it isn’t uncomfortably loud. But if I turned it to the high setting, I don’t think it would mask louder and/or shakier noises.

4 Likes

Tipping? Pay your wait staff a livable wage fer crissakes, Canada.

7 Likes

THANK YOU.

This is one of my pet peeves. The customer winds up paying for the whole amount anyhow – why not just include it in the price and spare the customer the extra math?

If gratuities truly were gratuit and not an obligation, they would make sense. But as they are, no. And creating a class of jobs which pay less than minimum wage just makes a mockery of minimum wage.

10 Likes

Checks to see if image is safe. (“view image info” in Firefox) Gets blasted with pain/animation.

Is it so much to ask that browsers either (a) stop enabling gifs or (b) start enabling users to safely check whether images are safe?

3 Likes

Neighbors growling their cars again.

3 Likes

I really dislike that. And the mufflers/tailpipes that are deliberately noisy. How is that remotely useful? Sound doesn’t just appear from nowhere; it must be causing some decrease in mileage.

3 Likes