Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Does this mean you get hassled for doing a favor?

6 Likes

That’s why it’s orange

4 Likes

Recommendations are weird. Helping students get where they’re going is part of the job - so in that light, this is not a favor to them. But in another light, it’s a favor to the company or entity that wants to hire them. So they’ve got me: I don’t want to let a student down, and therefore, there’s no incentive to improve the interfaces for me sending my letters. Because I’m gonna do it whether the interface is busted or not. Really irritating.

7 Likes

Incredible. You’re good to put up with it. I wonder how many people in your position say “well, screw that.”

7 Likes

So what does “po-faced” mean? Aside from being the opposite of “za-faced”? I don’t know what “za-faced” means either, so it’s not much of a clue.

2 Likes

In my experience, people writing recommendations take it really seriously. During my job search, I had folks upload letters for me with a two-hour turn around because a system crashed and my app info was deleted. But I’d be shocked if there weren’t some bad actors out there who just give up.

5 Likes

having an assumed solemn, serious, or earnest expression or manner : piously or hypocritically solemn

6 Likes

Well this is a start.

7 Likes

What’s that supposed to mean?

2 Likes

That’s Po, from the Teletubbies.

• Tinky Winky (who just died)
  • Dipsy
  • Laa Laa
  • Po
8 Likes

Possibly short for poker-faced, possibly suggesting that the person gives away as much as a toilet bowl (=“po” in English slang). There is also an English expression for being excessively drunk, “shit-faced”.
It’s pronounced as in “Poe”, not as in the Russian prefix you seem to be referencing.

5 Likes

Some of the blatant misogyny at the other place…

9 Likes

Automated toilets that flush way too soon; I wasn’t done yet you, mechanical bastard!

15 Likes

I’ve got another 3 chapters yet!

13 Likes

Po is also a river in Italy

4 Likes

I do not miss that place at all

6 Likes

Interesting point that. The inhabitants of the Po valley have a reputation for being taciturn. Umberto Eco tells the story of the Nativity play there; the kings ask a little boy the way to Bethlehem, the little boys says “that way”, his father comes out of the audience, thumps him and shouts “I told you never tell strangers anything!”

8 Likes

I want this to be the real origin of po faced

7 Likes

Amusing rather than angrifying…

When people complain that “cultural relativists” are “censoring” Victoria art.

I asked for clarification, because it strikes me as a contradiction:

Do you think cultural relativists are imposing their contemporary British values on earlier British art? Instead of appreciating earlier British art in its own cultural context?

And I don’t think this resolves the contradiction:

Yes. They view everything through the lens of an inflexible hierarchy and know what they think before they even look. A female nude=patriatchal exploitation of women. It is actually very prejudiced thinking, in the sense of pre-judging. This is the irony. They then run around accusing everyone else of prejudice, which is really just projection of their own habitual mental state.

2 Likes

I’m kind of angry at myself for reacting like this, and for not understanding when other people react to the sound of fingernails on slate. By the way, I could really use that sound, it always helped me react. But I just can’t cope with the sounds of slurping, or of spoons clashing on bowls, and more. It’s driving me up the wall. It’s not painful, it just fucks with my head.

P.S. It may have something to do with the water trouble, flooding trouble I’ve had, especially last month but also before.

4 Likes