Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I’ve very allergic to something here. My doc recommended cetirizine. I’ve looked online and it’s called a “non-drowsy antihistamine.”

It’s not non-drowsy. It doesn’t fuck with my eyesight like gabapentin, or cause severe hives and skin peeling off like benadryl, but it causes the same sleep half the day and wake exhausted knockout effects as gabapentin, and benadryl.

4 Likes

I take it you’ve tried Claritin? Over-the-counter, which is good and bad. We get a generic form which is much cheaper. Richfield, I think.

3 Likes

Haven’t tried claritin. With all my adverse reactions, I’m loathe to try any antihistamines except in an emergency.

4 Likes

That would be the worst time to try them, if you already know you have rare adverse reactions to them.

Claritin is a good one to try, especially for those who do have funny side effects (I’m one of those people), because it’s a lot less likely than other antihistamines to cause side effects.

6 Likes

I’ve been reading around and flexofenadine is the least likely to knock someone out. But I can’t find any advice on how to stay awake after taking antihistamines. I’ve slept, and slept, and I’m still exhausted today.

Apparently, not only is cetirizine considered “non-drowsy,” but 10 mg is considered a “low dose.”

1 Like

Also, whenever I try to find self-care resources for my medical issues, results are infested with stuff directed to doctors, saying patients should be told to practice self-care, or to “optimize self-care,” but not… you know… stuff to help figure out self-care for each condition.

3 Likes

Google translate switching numbers.

309301 becomes 30,933.

2 Likes

Some days, this thread really ‘grinds my gears.’

10 Likes

The “gingers have no souls” meme needs to go die in a fire.

10 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never understood that one – nor how it survived while so many literary icons (Anne of Green Gables, Pippi Longstocking, the entire Weasley family in Harry Potter, and that’s just the children’s books) are redheads.

Snarking on inherited physical attributes is just boring.

11 Likes

Nor have I, but I know why it’s still a thing; fuckin’ South Park, the bastards.

13 Likes

Agreed. I have a ginger daughter and anyone that said that to her would find my boot up their ass.

9 Likes

I used to substitute teach grade school and it wasn’t uncommon for me to find kids picking on a redheaded kid, saying those exact words. And now that I work a lot with high school students it’s not uncommon for me to run across kids who have internalized that message after a decade-plus of exposure.

It just needs to stop. Adults need to stop saying it, even in jest, because it filters down from the grown ups, to the teenagers, to the tweens, to the elementary kids.

13 Likes

As far as I can tell, it’s new. Like, in the past 10-15 years new. Drives me up the wall, and we don’t even have any redheads anywhere in our family, so it’s not like I’m taking it personally.

It’s like we’ve got to say something nasty about everyone now. No, we don’t.

10 Likes

I got kidded a lot as a kid. “Carrot top” was at least one where I could say “but the top of a carrot is green!” and get a confused look.

Of course as an adult I’ve learned that women think it’s really nice. :wink:

Downsides: insensitivity to anesthetics; fair skin & skin cancer.

10 Likes

It’s 2100h where I am right now.

I remember it was 1900h, and I swear I only closed my eyes, but now it is 2100h. Not surprising since my throat’s been ticklish, but dammit.

I’m not going to get the work I wanted to finish done tonight. I’ve got just enough time to scrape together a quick lunch for tomorrow and collapse into bed.

Dammit.

9 Likes

Last night I saw 2100. And 2200 and 2300 and 000 and got up and watched some netflix until the spouse noticed i wasnt in bed. So i saw 0100 and 0200, got close to 0300 until the cold harsh reality of 0500 came around and dragged my ass out of bed.

Today was long.

10 Likes

Insomnia sucks.

11 Likes

I’ve had an upper resp infection for about a week now. Mostly it’s in my right ear and right sinus, which means I have mucus gunk going down the back of my throat and into the top of my right lung. I call it 8% pneumonia.

Since my lungs are mostly clear, using an expectorant is ill-advised. Since my sinuses are half-clear, antihistamines have to be taken cautiously (too much and I’ll get a nosebleed).

So why am I whining about this now? Because the part of my right lung that has muck in it keeps squeaking every time I exhale, like I inhaled a dog toy, and it’s VERY annoying. I can’t cough up enough to make it stop.

Wah.

Pout.

Time to try some Benadryl so I can sleep.

14 Likes

Fuck, that sounds awful; feel better soon.

11 Likes