Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Sure oral histories need to be put into context and some verifications made, etc (usually through other textual evidence the interviewee can provide - such as uncle Fred’s work papers), but oral histories are a more than acceptable way to write history. History is interpretation of the past, not just a bunch of facts strung together.

4 Likes

mlp-fim-pinkie-pie-rimshot

Also a time in Irish history

which I think is the direct origin of the phrase “beyond the pale” in English.

11 Likes

I wonder if the tests used by the No Child Left Behind program are all rote rather than critical thinking. Anyone know?

4 Likes

When you send out a three line email, and someone comes back with a “what am I supposed to do?” question that is specifically addressed in the third line of your email.

And you know that they didn’t bother to read it, because when your answer is a literal quote of that line, their answer is “okay, thank you very much.”

I have said it before: there are no stupid questions, but don’t be surprised if the answer is RTFM. (Or, in this case, RTFE).

17 Likes

Wfm?

Lately I’ve started my emails to certain audiences with

TL;DR - < This is your action item >

< Here is the email I want to write that goes into the why and wherefore of what I am asking >

I fully expect someone to bring up that TL;DR is not professional… but neither is not reading the damn email in the first place.

13 Likes

That’s an awesome idea. I might start using that.

As for the professionalism thing, yeah, there seems to be a rule against reminding people they don’t read/don’t listen even when they have a well-established history of doing that. Personally I’d replace TL;DR with Action Item:. Keeps the feelings people happy and had the same effect.

11 Likes

I don’t know what that one line was, but (a) maybe they couldn’t understand that one line, or (b) maybe they couldn’t do that one thing.

I often preface emails, e.g. about trying to schedule an appointment, with an explanation that I have hyperacusis and can’t use phones, yet people instruct me to call a certain number, and when I explain that I can’t use phones, I may be switched to someone else who asks me to call a certain number.

5 Likes

Maybe you should see about getting a TTY phone. You don’t have to be actually deaf to get one.

11 Likes

“I’m getting an error in a script for the lab practical. No, I didn’t attach the script I’m using or the output, nor have I been following the instructions to make regular commits to a revision management system so you can track my progress. Why would you need to see any of those things?!?!”

8 Likes

I grind my own gears…

Had an appointment yesterday so I left work early, the whole way to my appointment I’m thinking, "When I get home, I need to do these 3 or 4 things for work. All things that are easily doable while relaxing with Netflix. Just “stuff that needs to be done”

Of course from when I get home until 10:00 PM, none of it seemed worth doing, so of course I didn’t.

And now, I’m avoiding it for a few more minutes to bitch about not doing it last night.

Once more, Into the Breech

9 Likes

I picked up a refill of my meds. They switched suppliers, so I check the list of ingredients to see if I’m going to be allergic to these ones. I check. I check. Where the fuck is the list of ingredients???

7 Likes

I’ve been in labor for 24 hours. Someone will be by to break my water shortly, but not shortly enough. I still have like 6 hours left of this.

And I’m hungry.

22 Likes

I was about to grumble that it’s been raining all morning. Now I just feel superficial.

Seriously, that sucks. Our firstborn took ten hours to finally make an appearance, and that was bad enough. I hope everything goes well for you.

Needless to say, we expect updates at 15 minute intervals. :wink:

14 Likes

FWIW, they don’t HAVE to break your water. Also, you are allowed to eat small amounts of food, especially if you’ve been in labor for that long without eating.

I do not like your doctor.

15 Likes

I’m VBAC and my contractions are slowing, though dilation is rolling. Got my epidural and things are looking and feeling much happier.

20 Likes

I’d finally found a groomer for my schnauzer that I liked and was reasonably priced.

They ran their business out of a pet supply store in a strip mall. When the store went in it struck me that it was:

A) in a poor location
B) too big (for the amount of product)
C) priced a little high for the market

Well, looks like I was right.

After not having a phone call returned, I drove by and saw the three days of FedEx notices on the door and judging by the pearl-clutchers on NextDoor, the guy didn’t pay rent or vendors.

I just hope I can find where the groomer ends up and the rest of the employees find new jobs.

10 Likes

"This podcast is supported by advertising outside the UK."

Is this really necessary, BBC?

Wasn’t subjecting us to neoliberal propaganda enough?

10 Likes

Posting in “Stuff that Really Grinds My Gears” when you are in childbirth is like - wow. You are my hero.

17 Likes