Someone whos having fun?

6 Likes

Dunno, but I bet alcohol was involved.

Hope it went well, anyway. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Highly recommend:

http://ebmyoga.com/

2 Likes

LOL no, yoga just about kills me. I canā€™t lift my arms above my head for very long.

Itā€™s cool they have versions for scoliosis though.

5 Likes

Any studio worth itā€™s weight should make it clear that you can and should modify the presented postures to meet your personal needs. No explanation needed on your part (itā€™s your workout not theirs) but if you tell the instructor before class of any particular physical issues they may well give you alternate moves on the fly so you donā€™t have to come up with them on your own.

4 Likes

Understood, but hereā€™s a short list of beginner poses I shouldnā€™t do:

Sun salutation
Warrior
Triangle
Downward dog
Tree

Basically anything which involves holding my arms at or above my shoulders. So for a yoga class to be safe, I could do corpse pose, stand on one leg, stand on two legsā€¦ and thatā€™s about it. No weight on my shoulders. No raising my arms.

I tried doing yoga to alleviate the pain before I stayed getting treatment. Turns out it was one of the worst things I could have done. Yoga is great if your body can take it, but it is not the all-access panacea itā€™s made out to be. Iā€™m better off doing modified Pilates or tai chi ā€“ something where you keep moving smoothly.

6 Likes

Oh I see, you clearly have already done your research. Jumps off soap box. :slight_smile:

Many people dismiss it sooner than they should but you are right in that itā€™s not a silver bullet and it wonā€™t be the best option for everyone.

5 Likes

@gadgetgirl, it sounds like youā€™re finding what works for you, I just want to put out there that restorative yoga classes exist that wouldnā€™t have you anywhere near those beginner poses. The fellow I took classes with started yoga as a last ditch before spinal fusion for scoliosis.

2 Likes

Itā€™s actually the deformed vertebrae that limit my arm motion. Thereā€™s nothing to restore as such for that part.

This is something Iā€™ve had my whole life ā€“ it only got identified in the last few years when some other things exacerbated it. Iā€™m kind of glad, because itā€™s vindication against all the people who told me not to be a quitter over the years when I said my shoulders hurt and I couldnā€™t feel my hands.

As ableist as society is, at least if you have an obvious mobility aid people kind of sort of get it. Itā€™s harder when you donā€™t need anything so long as you donā€™t make yourself worse.

14 Likes

Iā€™ve studied with her. She is excellent. The real deal. Super knowledgeable. She is the go to source on scoliosis. She had quite severe scoliosis and has used yoga as her own treatment.

5 Likes

I received on June 5 my Appointment Letter for biometrics to be performed at the local Department of Homeland Security Field Office. The letterā€™s envelope is postmarked June 2.
Should I not appear at the scheduled date and time for biometrics, my application for a renewed Green Card is abandoned and denied: $540 to feed DHS, but no result.

The appointment was for 8 AM May 31.

(I did get the biometrics performed, but only because I had made an appointment through the website on May 30 for a next-day visit to get a temporary stamp on passport for multi-entry permissions while my cardā€™s being processed.)

11 Likes

I knew government bureaucracies can get difficult, but it still pains me when one of them demands time travel.

8 Likes

I have some intuition and premonition powers, but also tickets for air travel to and from Canadian airports scheduled during my wait for my Green Card. I wonder about the other immigrants who didnā€™t have reasons other than biometrics appointments and who also received their letters at least one week late.

6 Likes

This practically goes without saying, but it makes TOTAL sense that both copies of a ADHD self-help book are overdue at my library system, right? Grrrr

13 Likes

I feel like I have had enough of the other forum. And golly just when some algorithm decided I was Regular. HAHAHAHAHA shows how badly that poor algorithm was designed.

Tangentially, isnā€™t it odd that the scientific research which shows that we as humans have increasing difficulties dealing with scientific concepts under certain circumstances, is so completely ignored by those who have invested so much of themselves in the idea of capital R Rationality?

18 Likes

I think itā€™s likely because ā€œrationalityā€ is often not about being rational, but is employed as a ideology and a means of justifying whatever one wishes to justify. They view themselves as ā€œrationalā€ so whatever they think or do must be rational and correct.

11 Likes

Science is hard as hell. We are surrounded by thorny problems, and even breaking off a tiny part of one of them is hard. Formulating a testable idea regarding one of them is so fucking hard. Designing an experiment to test that idea is excruciatingly hard. Performing the experiment and quantifying the sources of bias, and even standing up and delivering a presentation of findings - all hard. So much easier to just dress up your pet peeves in a lab coat, justify them with some faintly sciency language, pretend one is being rational.

10 Likes

Right on!

9 Likes

Some of the origin of the concept of ā€œrationalityā€ was in ā€œrationalizingā€ religious dogma with then-new discoveries in natural philosophy. Funny how the words have separated in connotation.

9 Likes

A good point!

I think most people forget that the founders of modern science were themselves often men of faith, too. They didnā€™t see anything wrong with squaring a scientific world view with their religious world view and as you note, they were seeking to better understand godā€™s creation, as much as they were in developing science as a field of study. AND other fields that we wouldnā€™t consider a scientific field were put into that mode of study - political science for example or a systemic study of history.

12 Likes