Stuff to do while scanning?

I’m scanning a lot of old notebooks, for personal use. I can’t walk off and read, because I have to switch pages, and click through the driver for each page. I can’t do much work either, for the same reason. What are some things which can fit with the noise and the awkward pacing?

3 Likes

I know what you’re going through. And I think the answer is “not much.”

8 Likes

Eating one (1) Double Stuf Oreo per page kinda suits my rhythm.

5 Likes

Listen to an audiobook, maybe?
Practice something that requires hand-eye coordination (juggling, dancing a coin across your fingers, pen spinning, etc.)?
Balance exercises?
Memorize a poem or a song?
Origami?
Doodling?
Conceptualize a short story?

6 Likes

Uncover the purpose of the Ripe program?

4 Likes

Scanning noisy. Not suitable for audiobook. Scanning frequently interrupts anything. Not suitable for regular reading let alone listening.

2 Likes

I think my best option is typing things up, like chronologies, which don’t require much thought or focus, and don’t require flipping between 2+ files, or cross-checking 2+ parts of 1 file.

2 Likes

Two words: Insta. Gram.

Each post might take the time needed to scan one page.

6 Likes

I recommend the TurboScan app instead. Less noisy, faster, easier.

2 Likes

Another option: Evernote

Both these apps are free

1 Like

My current driver is a pain because it requires 2 clicks per page, and it doesn’t allow checking partway, so another driver might help. But I don’t understand how either app would make things less noisy or less awkwardly paced. And if I used Evernote, how hard would it be to get things out of Evernote???

1 Like

The apps use your phone camera instead of a camera. Snap a pic, basically.

You can save from Turboscan to PDF.

Evernote is accessible through a browser on your desktop as well as on an app on your phone and seamless migrates between the two. It’s amazing! LOVE evernote. You can also email stuff to anyone from there. There’s a Share button. You can just take pics and load them into a note instead of scanning.

1 Like

Here’s an Evernote where I scanned in two post-its with names of makeup products I was considering

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s625/sh/1867039b-93ed-4f1d-bc16-8a39200292c4/e1fc2e11bf9bc9e7ee63ab33a490191e

2 Likes

𐌹𐌺 𐌽𐌹 𐌼𐌰𐌲𐌰 𐌳𐌿 𐌱𐍂𐌿𐌺𐌾𐌰𐌽 𐍄𐌰𐌹𐌻𐌰𐌹𐍆𐍉𐌽𐌰𐌽𐍃 𐌾𐌰𐌷 𐍄𐌴𐌺𐌰𐍃𐍀𐌹𐌻𐌳𐍉𐍃.

I cannot use telephones and touch-tablets.

1 Like

Smoke weed.

Only half joking. If scanning documents seriously annoys you this much, maybe you need to take the edge off.

6 Likes

Anyway, I scanned another 3 partly-used notebooks today, and typed up part of that timeline.

1 Like

Software is such annoying shit these days, living in Oregon is my only defense. So I totally get the frustration as well as the coping mechanism.

The real solution is to smash the cannibal dumbfuck culture of silly-ipo valley.

4 Likes