Stylish Add-on Snarfing Up Your Dataz

I’ve recommended the browser add-on Stylish a few times over the years to help people refine the look and layout of web sites. Well, the add-on’s been sold, and sold again, and apparently the present owners are now using the add-on to suck up browsing history.

Disabled. Too bad, I’ve been using that for a long time. Some people are saying Stylus is a good replacement, but I haven’t tried that yet.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17447816

ETA: I can’t tell if this is “breaking” news or not. I’m just finding out about it now. According to the story, the bad behavior started in early 2017.

7 Likes

That bites. Remember when it was a featured Firefox plugin?

5 Likes

Yup. That’s been a mainstay of mine for a long time. Sucks majorly.

5 Likes

This has become my major concern with 3rd party extensions.

You install one because it does useful thing X. It generally auto-updates and all is well, until one day…it isn’t.

So, I’m down to a very few extensions and only ones that I make sure they are still legit.

6 Likes

Firefox doesn’t come with all the needed safety and accessibility tools, though…

3 Likes

Looks like it is new news, recently recognized.

4 Likes

“Blocklisting” and “blacklisting” are different things?

2 Likes

Well, different terms but they amount to about the same thing. Blocklisted add-ons are on the list of blocked add-ons, that is, those blocked from running in Firefox. Firefox knows to consult the blocklist periodicallty and, if an add-on is on the list, it’s disabled by the browser. That’s the general ideer.

4 Likes

needs more blockchain

5 Likes

We must blacklist the blockhead who blocklists our blockchain and play Black Flag at the block party until we black out.

What topic am I derailing now?

7 Likes