Suspension of User

Yes, because giving someone who has repeatedly engaged in borderline stalkerish behavior is just some of the bannings back on the old BBS.

14 Likes

I see what hard to follow comment (by him) about what he supposedly did, like “liking” posts by people who muted him? Is that against the rules? I don’t see that in the code of conduct. The original post here isn’t terribly clear for one promoting transparency.

So, I really don’t know, other than being hyperargumentative, what he did to get a suspension, I mean, besides a bunch of people complaining, which I guess is enough.

1 Like

I’ll be blunt: when multiple people tell you to stop contact, don’t continue to contact across multiple sites.

13 Likes

A timeout of only 5 days doesn’t seem incredibly out of place for what you’ve got there. Very importantly, unlike some other place, this seems to be driven by community reasons and not a mod unilaterally swatting.

If there were other issues in private that added onto that, well… I wouldn’t expect mods to discuss details of that in public, because it’s private.

12 Likes

@staff might want to consider, if somebody posts something offensive, EITHER deleting the posts, OR suspending the user, but not both. Then, if somebody gets suspended, others will be able to see the evidence and make their own judgments.

4 Likes

It’s actually the second:

This is the first suspension that wasn’t self-imposed(requested?)

bbs.elsewhere.cafe@gmail.com is also available for contact outside of the BBS. It’s supposed to show up on the about page, but I’ll have to see why that’s not the case.

15 Likes

Oh, I didn’t think of the idea that he might have posted something that was then deleted. That makes a bit more sense.

3 Likes

I don’t actually know if that’s what happened this time either.

I thought he was being pretty rude to @gatto @Nonentity this morning but I didn’t flag anybody, and I didn’t see anything that was worth suspending people over.

1 Like

I’ve been traveling a lot, so I have no idea what’s going on basically at all. But I thought muting just made it so you don’t see someone’s posts, not so that they can’t contact you? Or do you get a warning if replying to someone who has muted you?

4 Likes

There are two types of mutes:

• Notification Mutes (Server-side)
  • Post mutes (Client-side)

The former can be set in your user control panel, but doesn’t always properly block notifications of actions.

The latter hides the content of posts. You can set this by pressing the mic icon beside post info.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s helpful. I’m still sort of confused, though. You wouldn’t know that you’re liking the post of a user who has muted you in either case, though, would you? I’m confused by the message MAP got because I always thought of mutes as, like, “this person is bugging me, maybe I should take 5 and not see their posts” as opposed to something that requires action from the other person.

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding this as part of a larger pattern of trying to provoke a reaction via notifications of someone who muted you via the mic button?

3 Likes

I think that I probably should have tried an email first. I had planned to do it that way, then more flags got thrown, and I decided to just act because I was getting concerned about the tone of everything here and needed to take care of that first and foremost. The staff had made a decision already and it started seeming more and more critical to act sooner rather than later.

I am not having the best day today. I’m still pretty messed up from my dad’s recent death and other personal stuff going on. I do want to talk about all of these decisions and how to do it better next time.

I’m going to get some rest tonight and hope tomorrow looks a little better and then I’ll wade in here and start talking about what worked and what did not. Initial thought: what worked - staff working together; what did not - me communicating well what the issue was and giving warning.

I thought 5 days would just give us all a little space.

re: deleting posts - I do not delete posts because I want the record there of what happened. I have been on boards where people used the delete in really bad ways to go back and destroy threads and everyone would be scratching their heads. I’m a big believer in people seeing the good, the bad, and the ugly because I think it’s important not to sanitize it. We are all going to get this wrong sometimes. And hopefully right most of the time.

22 Likes

Do I get a notification when someone mutes me? If not, how can I not “like” their posts if I’m not supposed to when muted if I don’t know I’m muted? Is this spelled out in a code of conduct somewhere or are we making this up by the seat of our pants as we go?

2 Likes

The user in question was doing stuff like going back and liking EVERY POST from the person who asked him to cease interacting with them after the request was made.

14 Likes

So he was being a dick and gaming the system. He wasn’t replying them. Seems like dickish edgecase. I assume he was given an opportunity to stop after being told it was unacceptable before he was banned but he kept on doing it?

I’m not being argumentative for its own sake here (really). I’m just wanting us to be enough better than the old site that we have a code of conduct or rules that we point to when people are about to get banned so it is all 100% clear.

4 Likes

I’m not sober enough to contribute meaningfully.

16 Likes

In fact, because he did that sock puppet stunt, I would actually argue for the double ban I got at That Other Place. Doing what you did to get banned, while banned, deserves a harsher ban, but it’s the only thing that warrants this.

So he got slapped with five days. Big deal. He can come back Thursday. No harm, no foul, no need to do anything except take his lumps.

14 Likes

From my point of view, you’re no angel in that thread with him either and trying to get the guy you were arguing with banned even further doesn’t make you look like a better person here either.

If it helps, I think you’re all dweebs.

But in the best way.

14 Likes

I’d like it if we can all take s breather from the drama while we have a time out.

14 Likes