SUVs are more deadly than regular cars

A design or two ago they became GIGANTOR. They are a wagon at 120% scale.

6 Likes

Negative - itā€™s angled parking in the car park.

I currently drive a damned Prius, and itā€™s the largest vehicle Iā€™ve ever owned. I also get irritated with the giant trucks and SUVs that inevitably park on either side of me at the car park. Why is it they appear to all come equipped with blacked-out side windows?

8 Likes

If itā€™s angled parking, you shouldnā€™t have a problem reversing from between two SUVs, as any oncoming car should be visible in your rearview.

Unless someone, for some reason, put angled parking on a two-way driveway, but thatā€™s just bad design.

2 Likes

:laughing: :laughing::laughing:

Ahaha NO.

7 Likes

Yes. I was disappointed when they embiggened it.

The Forester you buy today is closer to the Outback of days of yore.

1 Like

CRVs too.

In 2000, they were kind of a tall car with excellent visibility:

The 2018 is neither:

Edit: And, Iā€™ll be driving my old CRV until itā€™s not possible anymore. With ice, snow and rural roads, the AWD is important to me, along with the no-car-payment thing.

5 Likes

Also, itā€™s a lot harder (for me anyway) to back into a parking space than back out of it. Though perhaps thatā€™s just a carryover from long ago when we were given a 3rd hand 1973 Chrysler Newport (aka The QE III) as a wedding present from my folks.

We had that tank for 8 years.

13 Likes

That oneā€™s not mine. It was a long time ago.

2 Likes

Subaru knows how to build a damn good chassis. Also unlike most SUVs they arenā€™t just slapping a more car-like body on a truck frame.

I didnā€™t think for many SUVs are basically a status symbol, but Iā€™ve also been pretty anti-SUV since they started becoming a thing in the late 1990s. (And, sadly I drove one for a while, but it was a hand-me-down and I never really enjoyed driving it although the cargo space came in handy from time to time.)

Thatā€™s more of a wagon than an SUV. And Subaru is pretty legendary for itā€™s high safety ratings.

4 Likes

Many years ago, an elderly neighbor of mine drove a late 1960s 4-door Chrysler New Yorker. He would ask me parallel park it whenever he needed it parked on the street. It was like trying to pilot an aircraft carrier into a shipping container. (ETA did I mention the power steering barely worked?)

4 Likes

BTW, ours was this color:
:nauseated_face:
But it was a two door like the yellow one above. The doors were incredibly long and heavy, which made getting in and out of the car a challenge when parked on a hill, or in a tight parking spot. We felt really safe driving the thing though.

ETA: Pulling a U-Haul we got 7 mpg on the highway.

3 Likes

That was grandpaā€™s car! I didnā€™t inherit it.

3 Likes