SXSW Cancelled

At least they didn’t wait until the last minute. I know someone who was supposed to head that way from Amsterdam tomorrow.

6 Likes

I’m so mixed on this news. I don’t know what is a good response to this outbreak. I see the risk, it also seems so damaging to so many people’s livelihoods.

5 Likes

I agree with this, but the cancellation probably has more to do with the state’s medical capacity than anything. A spike in cases might be unhandleable. This tweet sums that up well:

If there is an outbreak at SXSW, one thing to remember is a lot of musicians don’t have insurance and potential hospitalization and quarantine in a city where you don’t live could wreck livelihoods a lot worse.

My guess, though, is that a lot of unofficial shows will still happen, which is who really needs the $$ … but those folks are also most vulnerable due to the lack of insurance.

6 Likes

It’s aosr like the lack of public health insurance is bad for our society.

6 Likes

There is an Austin agency called the Musician’s Health Insurance Alliance. Might be a good time for a donation. Or the Sanders campaign.

3 Likes

Another great organization is the Tipitina’s Foundation for New Orleans musicians.

3 Likes

Turns out they’re not insured for this. That’s not good.

4 Likes