Television Shitpasta

Every genre has a shitty, so-bad-it’s-good representative. In any medium. It’s one of the immutable laws: 1% of crap is so crap it’s not.

Starting off our thread, I present Mako Mermaids:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4rezrv

Words fail to describe the shambling mess it is. A mess on every level, from technical aspects to narrative. The colour grading is off; frame blocking is bad, the scoring is terrible, the audio mixing amateurish at best. Even Canadian shitpasta has more technical merit.

Related:
Mahō no Mako-chan

2 Likes
1 Like

The not-as-successful predecessor to the Big Bang Theory. Came out in time for the heady days of Windows 95.

5 Likes

Sounds like a mashup of The Big Bang Theory, Silicon Valley, and The IT Crowd :thinking:

Could be mildly entertaining at least, could be a total train wreck. Either way, I’d watch.

OMG Farrah Forke! Bit actress from 90s sitcoms. Alex Lambert from Wings. Don’t ask me how I know that.

Farrah Forke, plus Peter Scolari and what looks like Stephen Tobolowsky, plus a whole lot of other people I’ve probably forgotten about… this whole thing is a throwback to a much simpler yet unfunnier time. I’d definitely watch.

7 Likes

I watched, as I recall, one-and-a-half episodes.

The on-screen tallent was pretty good. Quite a good cast really. But the writing was not even interesting enough to be a cliché.

5 Likes

I remember enjoying Dweebs. I also remember enjoying the Dilbert animated series around that time as well. I’m not sure how I would feel about them now, as I’m sure some of the appeal was the novelty of being pandered to.

Do any sitcoms age well?

5 Likes

Yes.
“Car 54 Where Are You?”
I cannot stress that strongly enough.
I could write a long post explaining why that show is so great.

9 Likes

Last I checked (which was a while ago) Lucille Ball’s work was still funny.

And people still say good things about Barney Miller and WKRP in Cincinnati.

10 Likes

Porridge seems to have aged fine.

2 Likes

Please do!

6 Likes

I would quibble with Lucille Ball’s work holding up. There was a lot of racism and sexism in “I Love Lucy”, for example.

Carol Burnett, on the other hand, seems to have aged much better.

9 Likes

Carol Burnett is so funny, but it’s not a sitcom.

I find the genre itself is very dated and do not watch them.

5 Likes

Maybe I was watching one of her later shows. She was doing sitcoms until 1973 at least.

2 Likes

Off the top of my head, no. Perhaps there are examples I never watched (as previously mentioned) but every time I’ve gone back to a “well-loved comedy from days of yore” … it has been painful to watch.

4 Likes

OK. You asked for it. Give me a few days…

What about “News Radio?”

2 Likes

Does The Young Ones count as a sitcom?

5 Likes

News Radio is still great.

I feel a bit cringy about some of the actors in it, but the material still holds up.

5 Likes

It’s some of Andy Dick’s finest work.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s mainly the guy I was thinking of.

But saying it’s his finest work is like finding the bowling ball with the sharpest corners.

7 Likes

When I was in college we would watch the old All in the Family shows and those held up well.

11 Likes