Television Shitpasta

I just watched the first episode, on Hulu. I may have seen the show when I was a kid because I watched everything on TV Land, etc., but it’s not one that stuck with me (like The Munsters) if I did, but like you the title at least was something that was in my consciousness without being aware of why or how it got there.

Also like you, I was immediately impressed. The quality of the writing and the performances is at least as good as the best-known comedy shows of the era, like your Leave it to Beavers, Andy Griffiths, Hogan’s Heroes, Munsters, etc.

I’d like to see that kind of show revived - masterfully written but fairly simple comedy that allows itself to be really silly at times, but very grounded in reality too (even The Munsters). The modern TV comedy style doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t mean it has to be exactly the same, of course it would be updated, but that innocence and sense of good clean fun is sorely missing today. (The closest modern example I can think of in terms of having the right spirit is maybe Community, but that’s its own whole other thing - and of course there’s Bob’s Burgers, which may really be the closest, but it’s a cartoon which makes things different)

8 Likes