The Art Thread

A couple I really enjoy from a digital concept artist named Joon Ahn. The reason I am drawn to them is his quality that seems to combine tight perspective and edges with loose brushwork. As a realist oil painter, I wish I could make the space in my work appear as natural as this. Despite the eye candy models, I really like his knack for viewpoint and composition. The subjects seem very concrete and solidly placed. Maybe it’s because there are so many elements that feel like early Renoir or Degas?

6 Likes

Interesting. What would you consider a symphony then? Would it have to fall into a certain format (i.e., overture, slow movement nobody cares about, divertimento/minuet, finale), and would each of those movements have to fall into a certain format? What about the instrumentation? Would the trio section of the third movement need to be dominated by the woodwinds with minimal strings, or would it be too rude to put a trumpet in there?

There’s a lot of boring stuff that goes into writing a symphony, and also a lot of study into that particular art form. It’s probably not the best example of pure creativity there is, especially when we expect a symphony to sound a certain way, but we tend to elevate this form for whatever reason.

2 Likes

I run into this discussion in yoga communities, that children are naturally enlightened and we as adults are trying to recapture it. But it’s not true. We don’t seek to just be children in our approach to the world, but to be totally present as adults and yet be able to take that childlike, unbiased view on the world as adults.

6 Likes

That is exactly why I hate books like The Four Agreements. Anyone who thinks children are naturally enlightened has never been trapped with a two year old screaming their head off because you won’t let them do something harmful.

7 Likes

Children seem much more affected by life’s disappointments and pains. They’re often just as selfish and short-sighted as adults are – they just have a better excuse for being that way, and they’re less devious about it, and the stakes are usually a lot less.

On the other end of the timeline, old people are definitely not automatically wise, either… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

My favourite lines from a Bond film (Skyfall):

Age is no guarantee of wisdom.

And youth is no guarantee of innovation.

3 Likes

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Children tend to be a lot of things that adults aren’t, but enlightened is not one of them. Are you maybe using a different meaning of the word than I am? Like, a special spiritual meaning, as in they are more in the now and have less attachment and baggage than adults do? Similarly, is it enlightened in the sense of lighter, less burdened?

I would agree up to a point. I would say that as an adult, I have way more baggage than I did as a child. I am way more judgmental and set in my ways, have so many more attachments to people, places, and things, and obviously I have responsibilities that no child has. Somehow I feel like I’m not alone in being like this. However, even if I agree with this definition of enlightenment, I don’t think children are more enlightened than adults. I can take way more in stride than I could as a child, and I am more resilient and can fight back a lot easier. Children don’t have the same baggage adults do, but they’re helpless in so many ways.

4 Likes

I agree. Being as present to the now as an adult is basically enlightenment. But just being a child is not, IMHO.

4 Likes

It is important to be childlike, but not childish, yes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

7 Likes

Been making some stuff:

Nothing too flash; those are literally the first things I’ve ever done on a lathe. But it’s a relaxing way to burn some time, and the end result is quite nice. :slight_smile:

This guy is awesome:

11 Likes

Done another one:

African olive.

11 Likes

More woodage:

11 Likes

I’m bowled over!

6 Likes

Pretty pretty. Learning woodwork is on my to do list.

7 Likes

The saws and routers are all a bit noisy and dangerous for my tastes, but a lathe is a surprisingly peaceful and forgiving machine to work on. Versatile, too; any spinny tool can be replicated by a lathe. Drilling, polishing, sanding, etc.

Quiet enough to use in the evenings without sending the neighbours crazy and kinda meditative.

Wood is a forgiving material, too; I regularly mess things up and need to erase or redo them, but that’s usually trivial to do. Occasionally a bowl turns into a dish, but it’s rare that I need to totally throw away work.

9 Likes

New one:

All of them minus the Christmas gifts:

Big bowl in progress:

7 Likes

Red gum.

11 Likes
11 Likes

More Rockwell feminist imagery:

DUkNm4uW0AAeGI7

13 Likes