The Editor's Notes to Milo Yiannopoulos

unfortunately, I’m guessing it was the publisher who approached him rather than the reverse.

5 Likes

Ah yes, pursuing the almighty $$$. Let the buyer beware.

3 Likes

Given that he scored reportedly $80K for the advance, I’d agree.

Haha, that’s something else I’ve seen blowing up some people’s minds: “he just gets to pocket the 80K?” They’re even claiming he did a crap manuscript on purpose so he could just walk away with the money.

Perhaps the trial will be educational re: how the publishing business works.

7 Likes

But if I’m not mistaken, an advance isn’t just money in the pocket, it’s based on projected future earnings of a particular book, yeah (much like the recording industry). He gets the 80K, but that’s coming out of his future earnings off the book itself, so he doesn’t start getting paid from the book sales until he’s repaid that 80K.

8 Likes

That’s my understanding as well, but at this point there’s not going to be a book.

Actually depending on the terms of his contract, if he self- or otherwise published the book after receiving the 80K but before officially severing tired with S&S, they may be able to sue him.

8 Likes

Please, yes!

snl-stefon-laugh-cry

7 Likes

That would be awesome.

Meanwhile I want to make this into something, a meme or maybe a tee-shirt;

11 Likes

I feel it could just be an expression we throw out every now and then.

10 Likes

I had the same reaction! This line is priceless.

8 Likes

I had seen a t-shirt mockup in the twitter feed, but can’t find it now.

Someone was thinking along those lines

4 Likes

That explains Chapter 1: Springtime For Hitler

10 Likes

16 Likes

Perfect.

tenor (5)

5 Likes

Fire your lawyers because the court’s preventing you from turning it into a media circus?

bold strategy

13 Likes

Good advertising for MSF as well: “We won’t let you talk us into doing something stupid that will just waste your money.”

2 Likes

lincoln-pro-se-quote

10 Likes

14 Likes

Would you take the word of a lawyer on that though? It’s not like they have a financial interest or anything.

I have to say that from over here what we see of US courts does look like a media circus, though we do have a TV channel for our Supreme Court. (My father likes to watch it sometimes, but you no longer find clowns among the higher judiciary since Melford Stevenson went).
However, lawyers get better training in custard pie throwing than most plaintiffs.*

*Yes there is a Terry Pratchett reference buried in there.

2 Likes

Well, it sort of goes without saying that the parts that don’t turn into a media circus (or where the judge at least manages to keep it tamped down) isn’t going to much be seen elsewhere.

There’s a difficult balance between permitting the public access to information about what’s happening, and prevent salacious cases from getting horrible. The balance isn’t always struck, but the courts tend to make a good try of it.

In general practice, though, it’s usually true that pro se litigants who haven’t had legal training (and even some who have had quite a bit of it) don’t do well in court, even though judges tend to go out of their way to give them as much leeway as they can. For anything more complicated than a basic traffic case, it’s a tough thing to do. There are occasionally successes, but they’re more the exception.

5 Likes

Of course; I was just pointing out that a trial lawyer like Lincoln is hardly the unbiased go-to on the evils of self representation.

2 Likes