The Moral Arc

As Theodore Parker famously said, “the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” There are setbacks along the way, but even under the worst conditions, society is always moving forward in some respect—even if it’s just peasants and women enjoying greater freedom in the aftermath of the Black Death, or war creating the conditions for medical science to advance.

The purpose of this thread is to highlight examples of social progress, even under difficult circumstances. It is an experiment to see if we can construct a counter-narrative in which light is quietly overcoming darkness. Examples may include, but are not limited to, stories of women and minorities advancing, important scientific breakthroughs, promising social experiments, and governments attempting new approaches to old problems.

8 Likes

[quote]Scientists for the first time have successfully edited genes in human embryos to repair a common and serious disease-causing mutation, producing apparently healthy embryos, according to a study published on Wednesday.

The research marks a major milestone and, while a long way from clinical use, it raises the prospect that gene editing may one day protect babies from a variety of hereditary conditions.[/quote]

5 Likes

You may find this book interesting.

2 Likes

Here try this one.

7 Likes

ATM, I am hard pressed to find anything that shows we are moving forward, but I’ll give it a shot.

Edit:

Not us moving forward, but something to show there is still a lot of beauty in the universe

5 Likes

Heres an encouraging development.

6 Likes

Thankyou, that was a welcome bit of niceness.

2 Likes

I knew of Paul Pritchard first as a rock climbing hero, and his brain injury was what created my interest in neuroscience. He is the foundation event of all of my science.

I am moved to tears to see that he’s now doing so well.

4 Likes
1 Like