The New Doctor (13th)

Yes, but as far as I remember he didn’t really act like someone from the time period he was supposed to be from most of the time. Aside from a few references like the “McCrimmon piper” and some disbelief that he was really travelling around, he mostly just plugged along. They had him in a spacesuit wandering on the moon almost right away, and they didn’t even have to explain what the suits were for.

It’s a bit of a balancing act. On the one hand, overdoing it gets extremely tiresome. On the other hand, if you’re going to go to the trouble of pulling in someone from a time period that long ago, it sort of loses its point if they aren’t at least given a reason for becoming knowledgeable.

I seem to remember one of the other companions in the old series going through a similar jarring change in competency, though I can’t remember which offhand. I just remember them suddenly going from “what is all this” to “ok, I’ll just fly the Tardis for you” and not even an indication of a period of study inbetween.

(I’m actually going through #2 right now, and just finished The Moonbase today. So it happened to be fresh in my mind. :wink: )

3 Likes

Like anything it depends on the strength of the writing. If it’s just “Arrrgh! Iron bird!” then yeah, I’ll pass. On the other hand, a non-21st century British companion could be given a more compelling backstory, motivations or attitudes than the usual “I was just a store clerk, and then the Doctor showed me all these wonders” thing. For example, I was excited about Ishildir when it looked like she was in line to be his next companion.

More fundamentally, though, I just don’t like the series being so anchored to the present day. I’m a weird fiction guy—I want to go all in and immerse myself in the strangeness of time and the universe. If it were up to me, he’d be hanging out with the Ood.

4 Likes

From the 18th century, but Jamie did okay…

19th century Victoria was a screaming mess.

But I’d love another companion from the past…

Wait, does Ashildur count? She was never in the Tardis, so not a companion.

4 Likes

The Doctor hasn’t had a Canadian companion yet. We’re pretty alien. Tatiana Maslany is gonna need a new job soon.

“No national healt care? Tese Daleks are almost as evil asan American! Don’t fergit ya toque, eh?”

5 Likes

Why do you want her to do it with a Swedish accent, though?

3 Likes

I know people from Ontario can be seen as slow but there’s no need to be rude about their accent

1 Like

They could have had the Doctor get killed for real in that last episode, and then just have Missy start calling herself the Doctor after that. Michelle Gomez as the Doctor! They had it all set up. He was even training her to take over. :sigh:

6 Likes

Apparently the Swedes think he’s Norwegian. The subtitles are fun. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s true. There isn’t.

I could explain this but really it’s the same as any other kind of posturing by those with little imagination and low tolerance for change.

2 Likes

Red herring, everywhere.

2 Likes

9 Likes

And his uncle sounds a bit like a German accent to me… :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe the 13th Doctor can treat them for logorrhea?

3 Likes

(From http://www.nodwick.com/?p=7945 , discussing Broadchurch)

if we assume that all actors who play Time Lords are their characters first and foremost, then that makes Broadchurch an ongoing “paradox” series where a Time Lord tries to help their future selves solve the mystery of what happened to the child they had on Earth.

3 Likes

John Barrowman seems to be celebrating, anyway:

XD

3 Likes

John Barrowman. There’s a guy who really needs to come out of his shell. /s

Anyway, my first set of “SJWS ARE RAPING MUH CHILDHOOD!” babymen video rants have started to appear on the YouTubes for me. I’m glad they’re announcing themselves beforehand in their thumbnails so I know to dismiss them on sight.

8 Likes

And I have officially lost respect for Davison. After Colin Baker’s lovely “it’s about time”, Davison is going on the “what about the boooyyyss” tack.

Seriously, guys. You’ve got 12 Doctors to choose from. NONE OF THAT IS BEING TAKEN AWAY. Now, stop throwing all your toys out of the pram, just because a new one is different.

4 Likes

To be generous, he fully admits that he’s “a dinosaur” and that he sees the need for the show to evolve. I figure he’ll eventually come around since he seems to be surrounded by good people.

Colin Baker coming out swinging? Good on him. If you haven’t listened to any of his DW radio dramas, you should. They’re far better than any of his episodes were. I always felt he got handed a raw deal.

4 Likes

Given that the average modern politician seems to understand modern technology and social issues about as well as someone from the 12th century, I’m not so sure. It might just look like a Senator trying to explain the Internet.
Mind you, someone like Pope Sylvester II…10th century perhaps but a possible candidate for Doctor. Or Roger Bacon, he’s 12th century. Both of them would probably listen to the explanations (in Latin of course) and then say “Yes, just as I expected…how long did you say it took for this to happen?”

6 Likes