The Side Alley, Outside the Leviathan Club: Medellin Edition - Redux

Eh? Wot? Gonna whoozhow? Yeah, alri-hic-ght then. Nothin’ doin here nohow.

unsteadily climbing up into the carriage Tom crashes into the proffered seat and promptly begins snoring vociferously

5 Likes

Before their carriage can properly depart, the pitter of padded feet pounding cobblestones echoes down the alley, and a footman wearing the livery of house Rodchaser née Westingham hops into view.

white-rabbit_livery

He toots briefly on his horn and declaims, primly, “A package for @Eighth, from the inestimable Ms. Jean-Rhys,” and then cerimonously extends his arm towards the carriage.

In his hand is a somewhat over-sized glass phial filled with liquid the exact shade of ripe pomegranate. There is an oily residue on the stopper that smells distinctly of tincture of laudanum, but the color is all wrong for that – and besides, it fairly sparkles in the dim light of the alley.

Attached to the neck of the phial by a fine silver chain is a small pendent.

The apparent volume of the vessel suggests that there is more than enough to share 'round with his compatriots, should Eighth choose to do so.

The footman’s ears twitch expectantly.

7 Likes

Eight grabs the phial, delicately, with his third leg.

He opens the phial and sytematically waves claws, legs, and attenules over the open container.

“interesting. But I wouldn’t want this interfere with what should be olfactory and gustatory day in the country. Perhaps later.”

Eighth stoppers the phial, and places on the seat between him and Tom @Tom_Ratchetcrank

7 Likes

Groggily half-roused from his dipsomania induced somnolent state by the constant jarring of the carriage Tom’s searching hand finds not his bottle but rather a strange container

Mmmph, uhhh, wot’s this? not even a proper shot in 'ere is there?

a bump in the road lands Tom’s head back against the wall of the cabin, whereupon he resumes his previous condition as the phial rolls from his uncurled fingers onto the couch

…a gentle flicker of the eyes belies the boy may yet be foxing to see what occurs next…

7 Likes

Eighth again unstoppers the phial, lifts it past a mandible, and appears to imbibe. But with all those maxilipeds waving about, who can be sure?

Eighth pauses, murmurs, “Indeed, Lady Rhys’s @MrMonkey laboratory skills are a match for her analytical insights. Happily there is enough for all, including the lagoderms if we’re economical.”

Eiigth says clearly “What say you so, Ensign?” @Chewseen as he lays the phial back on the seat next to Tom @Tom_Ratchetcrank

7 Likes

With the final stop of the carriage Tom springs awake bright-eyed and bushy tailed as though nary a moment of his days-long bacchanal had occurred, giving a friendly slap on one of @Eighth’s many thighs.

Heya boyos! What’s this? Wiley Westy Westley Wesley, (@Chewseen) you been hiding the good stuff all along? You doggo you!

Tom thumbs the cap off the phial, raises it to his lips, and with a sidelong look to his big blue companion, swallows his share. A satisfied smack of the lips, he leans forward with out-stretched arm and a gleam in his eye, offers the phial to Wesley.

7 Likes

Hi everyone. Wow, such a lot of people in this here alley.

Sorry I’ve been away. I’ve been squirreled away, making the Nautical Echolinguistict Traps that will capture any sub-seaonic chatter that may be occurring in any local lakes, streams, or byways.

Dear @liversnaps-grayson, I’m ready to proceed to your fishery, at your desire and pace.

I apologize, dear @Eighth. I do recognize the eagerness of you and your master for us to assess your fishery. The Federation applauds your enthusiasm. But we simply do not possess enough Nautical Echolinguistict Traps to survey more than one fishery per season. I do hope you will still warmly welcome us next season after we conclude our research at the ROUNDER fishery.

Kindest regards,
Walleye

5 Likes

Hey, now mate. We’re friends and all but don’t be starting any rumors when you say you’ve been “Squirreled Away”. We 'aven’t have a proper date yet if you’re talking like that.

7 Likes

[ DIck approaches from the far end of the alley, having seemingly appeared from out of nowhere ]

IMG_3428

Mr Crusher, so wonderful to finally meet you!

[ doffs his hat and bows deeply ]

Mr Piker speaks very highly of you. Don’t look so shocked, dear boy, it’s true! Terribly exciting, this .NET project assessment, isn’t it? Fascinating stuff, can’t wait to see your results.

Shall we get started? The Dipswitch family carriage is parked just 'round the corner, ready to take us to the fishery. Speaking of Dipswitches, Rounder sends his regrets - he’s gone a bit wheezy and is staying indoors until he’s on the mend.

By the by, have you supped? We can stop on the way if you’d like. I’m sure I can secure a private dining room at the Weatherby Ritz, as a distant cousin is part owner of the premises. Their house-made elder wine is incomparable, and their chef prepares the most amazing puddings, savory and sweet varieties, the likes of which you’ll not taste anywhere else in Weatherby!

Ready?

8 Likes

Hey-o. I have to go have dinner with Coat Rack and his cousin. Who wants to help me prepare?

8 Likes

I’m in – whaddya got?

4 Likes

Badminton. Why does it 'ave to be badminton.

9 Likes

be glad

I’m being dragged off to the croquet grounds, and that damned human won’t let me chew on the mallets.

or the balls.

7 Likes

blink

blinkblink

“Er.”

blink

“That is…”

gulp

“H… he… hello.”

7 Likes

Oh Mr. Liversnaps-Grayson. Thank you so much for that tour of your estate!

I’m glad it all went smoothly, and relieved we didn’t find any sentient sandfish in your master’s fisheries. The look on those crawfish’s eystalks though when we placed the .NET devices - that was priceless !

And also, thanks again for the splendid meal at the Weatherby Ritz. I’m already dreaming of going back for another butterscotch pudding.

Be seeing you about~

5 Likes

Oh Hullo Crispr Rothchild Mk IV,

I’d love to, but I’ve heard from my commander, and I need to get tending to upgrade these .NET devices. Looks like our research paid off, but it’s going to take me all summer to install the upgrades.

JUST AS SOON as I get these upgraded, we can head out to your estates. Probably not till Fall though.

Cheers

8 Likes

Wesley,

We have substantial technical resources within our organization. If you could provide some guidance on what you are looking for, I could rig up something preliminary to get this survey started. I am a Landua for god’s sake!

Every season you delay is another potential season sentients are senselessly slaughtered due to your dilatory demeanor.

But I’m glad you enjoyed the “crawfish”

• “Eighth” Landau
9 Likes

Oi, you lot seen any where’s about to scrounge up some vittles? I got a sick frie… I got somethin’ to do.

5 Likes

I have a box lunch I’d be happy to share with you.

6 Likes

Right kind of ya’, that. More long the lines looking for something to cheer a somebody up. Thinks I got it sorted. Care for a nip from me flask?

6 Likes