The Situation in Israel/Palestine

Supposed to be one of the better sources on the long-term policies:

https://www.btselem.org/

1 Like

Real helpful there, musky.

6 Likes
4 Likes

The October 7th attack by Hamas and Israelā€™s subsequent response have left the world in shock. To better understand the context behind this moment, Adam is joined by Nathan Thrall, a Jerusalem-based journalist, former Director of the Arab-Israeli Project at the International Crisis Group, and one of the leading experts on the conflict in Gaza.

1 Like

Helpful for him, because heā€™s pretty keen on white supremacyā€¦ He never really left the apartheid mindset of his childhood.

3 Likes

Well, this does not improve things.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a response to this that makes senseā€¦

4 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

https://archive.ph/2023.11.18-094619/https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/11/12/hamas-planning-terror-gaza-israel/

3 Likes

At last! Peace in the Middle East!

3 Likes

The incentive is a longer pause in fighting: ā€œThe release of every additional 10 hostages will result in one additional day in the pause,ā€ the Israeli government statement says.

(Also, from Live updates: Israel-Hamas war, hostage release deal approved, 4-day Gaza truce : )

What the deal entails: The agreement would see the release of at least 50 hostages in Gaza, women and children, in exchange for a four-day pause in Israelā€™s air and ground assault on the enclave, according to the Israeli government.

The deal will also include the release of 150 Palestinian prisoners ā€” women and children ā€” held in Israeli jails, according to a Hamas statement. It would also allow the entry of hundreds of trucks carrying aid relief, medical supplies and fuel to Gaza.

Seems like very good news. Though I really hope Iā€™m just being pessimistic when I wonder how long the math of that agreement will hold, whether tensions will increase as releases carry on.

4 Likes

I really want the babies back home. I canā€™t imagine them being in captivity for a month now.

6 Likes

However, Israel made clear in its statement it plans to resume its air and ground campaign on Gaza ā€œto complete the eradication of Hamasā€ once this round of hostage releases concludes.

Netanyahu has repeatedly said there are two goals to the war: the return of all hostages, and the destruction of Hamas.

On Tuesday before the deal was approved, Netanyahu told his cabinet the agreement would ā€œallow (the military) to prepare for the continuation of the fighting.ā€ He said the war would continue until ā€œHamas, Gaza will no longer be a threat to Israel.ā€

4 Likes

https://x.com/EylonALevy/status/1727392906368184654?s=20

8 minute video of tunnel under Shifa Hospital

3 Likes

This should be classified as a war crime. Have any Hamas leaders been captured?

The story of how those tunnels under Al-Shifa got built and are used are much more complicated than the Israeli government is letting onā€¦ This is worth reading:

Most of those fuckers arenā€™t even IN Gazaā€¦ Some are in Lebanon, a few in Dohaā€¦ :rage:

2 Likes

Yes they have captured quite a few. Article here:

From my understanding, using the hospital as a military base makes it a legit target under the Geneva Convention. So, far, Israel hasnā€™t proven their claim.

@mindysan33 Yes, they havenā€™t yet shown that this was a command center, just that they exist. Thereā€™s some videos Iā€™ve seen showing hostages coming into the hospital.

Which - the hostages were injured, so bringing them into a hospital doesnā€™t necessarily, to me, show the staff as complicit or that this is a headquarters. Iā€™m not sure how the rules of war work in relation to getting hostages medical care. Itā€™s hard to see the inuries and know that probably many more hostages have serious wounds and I wonder whether they are receiving treatment at all.

I hope the Red Cross can provide some assurance that hostages are alive and being cared for humanely.

I understand that itā€™s not easy to clear the tunnels and ensure they are safe to go through; I hope that Israel will actually present some evidence that what they are doing is justified militarily and not just cruelty. I donā€™t trust the IDF leadership.

The sources I follow, some of them are VERY pro-Israel so itā€™s tough to be neutral. I am in 2 WhatsApp groups that are providing information to Israelis.

Though itā€™s not exactly neutral r/IsraelPalestine is at least attempting to engage in a dialogue between the two groups. I also follow r/Israel, which went dark at the start of the war but has opened back up again. There is an r/Palestine but I havenā€™t gotten into that yet. r/MiddleEast is very anti-Israel; really quite anti-Semetic. Iā€™ve followed them for some time. I try to at least understand what is happening from all points of view.

Iā€™m very relieved to see child hostages coming home today. Maybe now that they have worked out a system for hostage/prisoner exchange, they can continue to get more hostages released.

4 Likes

Indeed, Iā€™m glad people are being freed on both sides.

2 Likes

Hamas footage of hostages being released.
https://x.com/hamdahsalhut/status/1728130455340478566?s=20

1 Like