The Situation in Israel/Palestine

We have one for Ukraine, should we open up one for this topic as well?

4 Likes

… we could just post :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :sob: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :sob: over and over

4 Likes

Worth starting with both Al-Jazeera’s and The Guardian’s liveblogs on the conflict…

https://www.theguardian.com/world/israel-hamas-war

2 Likes

This has a number of interesting points.

1 Like

TLDR:

The Times’s finding does not answer what actually did cause the Al-Ahli Arab Hospital blast, or who is responsible. The contention by Israeli and American intelligence agencies that a failed Palestinian rocket launch is to blame remains plausible. But the Times analysis does cast doubt on one of the most-publicized pieces of evidence

2 Likes

Feels like a news story from the 1890s.

1 Like

She put into words exactly how I have been feeling.

2 Likes

Me too.

1 Like

Lt. Col. Richard Hecht of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) told CNN that the airstrike was targeting a Hamas commander, whom he accused of “hiding, as they do, behind civilians.” Civilian deaths, Hecht also said, are “the tragedy of war.”

It feels like everyone in charge on all sides are intent on escalation.

7 Likes

Thoughtful, interesting points.

1 Like
3 Likes

They did show some of what they have to some reporters not long ago… I don’t know if they showed them all of what they have, though?

2 Likes

This is a useful FYI from Cory Doctorow over at Pluralistic…

https://pluralistic.net/2023/10/28/fog-o-war/

The other place just had a discussion on the war itself, and they ended up deciding basically that the only thing we should post there are facts rather than diatribing ourselves? :woman_shrugging: But so far, I’m not sure how that’s all gonna be parsed out? But some keep posting pretty inflammatory stories meant to stoke anger from right wing sources, often just uncritically.

7 Likes

That’s a fair stance, considering how much history, emotion, and misinformation is involved in the topic. Tough to enforce, though.

Seems to me like the clearest villains. Along with people using the situation in the absolute laziest way possible in order to profit from it:

1 Like

A deep dive.

Also some interesting, thoughtful solutions are discussed. Solutions that will never be implemented.

3 Likes

This site is compiling the video evidence of the 10/7 attack.

3 Likes
2 Likes

:sob:

2 Likes

“Is it conceivable to assume that ‘journalists’ just happened to appear early in the morning at the border without prior coordination with the terrorists?” HonestReporting wrote on its website Wednesday. “Or were they part of the plan?”

It led two Israeli politicians to suggest the journalists be killed. Several of the world’s biggest news organizations — CNN, The New York Times, The Associated Press and Reuters — issued statements Thursday denying they knew about the attack ahead of time.

2 Likes
1 Like