🇺🇦 The War in Ukraine

Well it sunk, so maybe it wasn’t actually the true cross.

3 Likes

Monty Python Witch Trial: Validity, Soundness, and the Fallacy of the Undistributed Middle | Blog of the APA.

2 Likes

Ah, but maybe the boat will un-sink again in three days?

Ok, probably not.

[edit] Just to get this out of my head now: And, somewhere in the ocean… a chip of wood bobs to the surface, three days after being dragged to the underworld by a boat. The local sea life forms a religion around this chip of wood…

5 Likes

In other boat-related news today:

1 Like

A floating island run by wine-drinking arboreal octopuses.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Quite a pithy post.

4 Likes

He has been described as a “serial entrepreneur” whose career has seen him go from bike racing, to importing electronics, flogging frozen food

What kinda career is ‘frozen food flogger’, and why?

Sounds like something from one of those house hunter shows. “I’m a part-time pencil lead sculptor and my wife is a frozen food flogger. Our budget is $15 million.”

3 Likes

Under the right circumstances, one that can be quite lucrative…

6 Likes

“Ukraine and its allies, including London, are threatening Russia for the last 1,000 years, to move Nato to our borders, to cancel our culture - they have bullied us for many, many years.”

3 Likes

Oh no, authoritarians have found another upside-down bullshit narrative to do with its… lack of a coastline, hatred of unfamiliar things, and its need to make people conform.

3 Likes

derry-girls-sweet-gentle-jesus

2 Likes

When asked how Russia can claim that it is fighting to “de-Nazify” Ukraine when President Volodymyr Zelensky is himself Jewish, Mr Lavrov said: “I could be wrong, but Hitler also had Jewish blood. [That Zelensky is Jewish] means absolutely nothing. Wise Jewish people say that the most ardent anti-Semites are usually Jews.”

2 Likes

Other shoe just dropped:

Apparently Orban knew about the invasion in advance, and hoped to annex Carpathian Ruthenia.

4 Likes

wups

1 Like

Despite lingering suspicions over Duranty’s motivations, Applebaum says she found no evidence the reporter was bribed or blackmailed by Russian agents. She also says he did not appear to be swayed by communism, though he was reportedly threatened against reflecting unwelcome truths.

Instead, Appelbaum says, Duranty simply toed the line because it was good for his career — excusing and rejecting the deadliness of Stalin’s rule well past any moment of possible denial.

“He was not only the greatest liar among the journalists in Moscow, but he was the greatest liar of any journalist that I ever met in 50 years of journalism,” said the late Malcolm Muggeridge in 1982 for a documentary produced by two Ukrainian-Canadian groups.

Muggeridge had reported about the famine in 1933 from Ukraine for the Manchester Guardian , his byline withheld to protect his identity from Soviet authorities. “Anybody who you were talking to knew that there was a terrible famine going on,” Muggeridge told his interviewer. “Indeed in Moscow itself, there was a decided food shortage.”

1 Like

At a news conference on Monday, Mr Erdogan said Turkey opposed the Finnish and the Swedish bids to join Nato, describing Sweden as a “hatchery” for terrorist organisations.

“Neither of these countries have a clear, open attitude towards terrorist organisation. How can we trust them?” the Turkish president said.

1 Like

whut??!! I’ve been to Sweden, and I’m not seeing this.

2 Likes

Again with the nuclear plants!

Russia’s deputy prime minister has vowed to sell power from it to Ukraine.

1 Like
3 Likes