News good or bad.

3 Likes
4 Likes

9 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

Not really useful news, but interesting…

I am trying to imagine a claymore mine that can take down a helicopter, and I think my imagination just doesn’t want anything to do with it.

4 Likes

The Vietnamese did it during the American war.

They mounted 'em high in the trees, with the tripwires rigged so that the downdraft of a helicopter coming in for landing would set them off by making the branches sway.

To crash the helicopter, sometimes all you need to do is make the pilot flinch at a tricky moment.

3 Likes

Ok, sure, but the scale of these things could make treetop rigging a bit trickier. And possibly not even needed… their lethal range is 90m according to wikipedia, almost twice that of an M18A1 claymore, with a potential hazard range of 300m.

1 Like

3 Likes

I liked this lady when I watched her testify in the impeachment hearings. I still like her.

2 Likes

As night fell on Ukraine on Tuesday, Russia’s large convoy was still about 18 miles north of Kyiv — representing little or no change from Monday, the official said. The official added that some elements within the military column are “literally out of gas” and having difficulty feeding their troops.

“The U.S. says about 80% of the estimated 190,000 Russian troops that rimmed Ukraine are now in the country,” NPR Pentagon correspondent Tom Bowman reports. “About 400 missiles have been fired by the Russians since the invasion began last week.”

3 Likes

Wait, I though that was a resupply convoy? Do they need an extra resupply convoy?

3 Likes

Ah yes, supply lines being stretched have always seemed to be a problem w/Russia during wartime.

2 Likes

Maybe it didn’t start as a 40 mile convoy. It was just a regular resupply convoy that ran out of supplies so they had to send a resupply convoy to resupply the resupply convoy but that got stuck behind them and now it’s a 40 mile traffic jam and the trucks at the back don’t have enough fuel to travel the 40 miles to deliver fuel to the ones stuck up front?

4 Likes

“…To strike Kharkiv and say that it was Russia. Ukraine is hitting its own and is lying to the West. But is it possible to deceive the people?” it asks.

During a 17:00 bulletin, the Rossiya 1 presenter outlines what she says is Russia’s “main objective” in Ukraine: “The defence of Russia against the threat from the West, which is using the Ukrainian people in its stand-off with Moscow.”

To counter what is described as “fake news and rumours” about Ukraine which are circulating online", she announces that the Russian government is launching a new website where “only true information will be published”.

1 Like

That’s actually more honest. And more awful, given that it’s Putin and the oligarchs East and West and Space pushing western oligarchs to greater heights of power. And it’s the democrats and anarchists who want to stop with dick-swinging mis-placed aggression. And not poison big parts of the landscape further. Fucking stop it.

1 Like
4 Likes