🇺🇦 The War in Ukraine

Some positive experiences and some very predictable.

1 Like

Apparently Russian shelling caused a fire at one of the training buildings at another nuclear power plant.

1 Like
2 Likes

Facebook’s president of global affairs, Nick Clegg, said that “soon millions of ordinary Russians will find themselves cut off from reliable information”.

Combined with the recent actions of Fédération Internationale Féline, this must be a terrible blow to Russian cat fanciers.

2 Likes

And for those who want cut-rate Ray-Ban sunglasses. And just when they need them to hide those red eyes.

2 Likes

Twitter and youtube are also banned

2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Hrm… on one hand, losing internet access could make Russians more aware of how the rest of the world is viewing this. On the other, makes it easier for Russia to feed its citizens only the view they want. No good answers…

Cogent took the step at least partially because the company did not want to be used for “outbound cyber attacks or disinformation.”

Considering how Cogent had quite the reputation of being a sewer of abuse sources in the past, this is also kind of wild. I know they’ve taken a lot of steps to get better, but it’s still a bit weird to see this justification.

4 Likes

This reminds me of the Lincoln Battalion of the Spanish Civil War.

1 Like
1 Like

Namecheap also shut off Russia, announced 5 days ago, effective today. There’s a somewhat interesting thread on Hacker News. Has posts from the company CEO as well as from Russians who were working with the anti-war protestors inside Russia.

Interesting to me, the company has over 1000 employees in Ukraine. Also, with so much else shut off, including things like payment processing, the people in Russia can’t easily switch. Or can only switch to Russian companies. Which isn’t really safe for anti-regime people.

2 Likes
1 Like

Floods of this omnicidal bullshit being unleashed around the world:

Etc.

3 Likes
2 Likes

It’s impossible to confirm the accuracy of anything, but this seems like a decent daily summary of the military situation, albeit somewhat biased to the Western perspective:

1 Like