🇺🇦 The War in Ukraine

Notice the Russian trucks have “Z” painted on them. Somehow, despite “Z” not being a letter in the Cyrillic alphabet, it has become a Russian pro war symbol.

It makes no sense, like Pepe the Frog.

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

ONLY because of the Kentucky Friend Chicken reference:

1 Like
4 Likes

This brought me a small measure of hope for the people of Ukraine:

3 Likes

Really, has their bureaucracy come any further than it was when it was Czarist?

2 Likes

I think the Russian Army tried a pull system during World War I, but the Red Army returned to a push system.

Aside from everything else, the pull system requires local commanders to report their requirements. I think the push system may compensate for communications breakdowns, and might slow down black-market sales of surplus equipment.

4 Likes

kleptocracies don’t seem very good at maintaining legacy systems they inherited from more responsible previous generations

2 Likes

There are countless numbers of things to object to and/or argue about in this video, but I’ve cued it to a particular bit at 10:14.

TLDW: “although militia are useless against air supremacy etc, they can still defend an urban area against infantry occupation”.

The bit that Iain leaves out: that only works until the invaders decide to stop pretending to care about collateral damage and just flatten the place.

As in Fallujah.

2 Likes
1 Like

Weird framing, it’s about the US using its NATO veto to keep Poland from transferring its old Mig-29s to Ukraine? Which would take some time to make ready I would think.

1 Like

“There was a project to restore Chechnya to Russian control, and nowadays in 2022, to restore Ukraine to the Russian sphere of influence,” said de Waal. “And there was no Plan B. Once the people started resisting, which came as a surprise in Chechnya and is coming as a surprise in Ukraine, there was no political Plan B about what to do with the resistance.”

3 Likes

“As a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, we have temporarily made allowances for forms of political expression that would normally violate our rules like violent speech such as ‘death to Russian invaders,’” Meta spokesperson Andy Stone said on Twitter. “We still won’t allow credible calls for violence against Russian civilians.”

That’s actually… almost a reasonable line to draw in general. Though it would immediately lead to people playing semantics about the definition of “civilians”.

3 Likes

The Vancouver Recital Society said it could not “present a concert by any Russian artist at this moment in time unless they are prepared to speak out publicly against this war.”

Malofeev then posted, “The truth is that every Russian will feel guilty for decades because of the terrible and bloody decision that none of us could influence and predict.”

In an update responding to that message, the Vancouver organization said, “We are very grateful for his words.” But it stressed the need to show solidarity with Ukraine — and its desire to prevent “even one cent of the proceeds” from its concerts from going to the Russian government.

1 Like