Today I learned a thing

I’ve been using them since the 90s also, and my mom has been using them since the 80s, so it’s totally normal in my mind. My partner feels, but has backed away from actually saying so out loud again, that reusable bags are girly, and it’s just not masculine for him to take bags with him. FFS. Waste is SOooooo masculine. /s

And, I still get pushback from clerks, about meat. Yes, I know the packaging might leak, that’s why I ask that the meat be put in the washable bags. I even tell them that if I get sick, of things get crushed when bagged in the order I request, it will be my own fault, and I will not complain about them. I won’t be shamed.

At least they are no longer confused about why there are bags on the conveyor belt, but I am possibly the only customer of Podunk Hillbilly Grocery (not their actual name) who brings reusables.

This is just one reason I prefer driving to town to shop at Aldi or Food 4 Less, where I can just bag shit myself, and don’t get weird looks.

13 Likes

The internet finds solutions for everything:

Toronto passed a law a few years ago that stores had to charge 5 cents for plastic bags. The environmentally sensitive Mayor Rob Ford made a point of scrapping the law as soon as he was elected, but the habit of bringing reusable bags seems to have taken hold. At least it isn’t unusual to see people with them. I prefer them, at least when I remember to bring them, because they can be loaded up without the bottom falling out, and I can carry several without severing any fingers.

16 Likes

Can’t say I’ve really gotten in the habit of bringing my reusable bags into stores yet. They mostly live in the secret Prius stash until we leave Costco or similar. What I did with a bunch of the plastic bags that were too hole-y for cat litter was crochet reusable bags. I’ve got 2 fairly large totes, and plan to complete a third this summer (after I finish my new winter hat and a blanket for grandKidd #2 who will arrive in July).

7 Likes

Reader’s Digest (!) documentary from 1965 – reusable bag somewhere in the first 2 minutes (lady with the baby stroller):

3 Likes

Well, this was disturbing to learn…

8 Likes

I was fixing some inconsistencies in my family tree when I went down a rabbit hole of new leads that ended up with my discovery that my Dad’s great-aunt Margaret was a pioneer in aviation and photography. She served in World War One, she was the first woman to receive a pilot’s license in Italy, and only bad weather and finances kept her from being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean.

All of which is awesome, but I still don’t know where my paternal great-great-grandfather came from.

14 Likes

Today I learned how electric tea kettles know when to shut off and how it works no matter what elevation you’re boiling water at.

https://www.ingenia.org.uk/Ingenia/Articles/24531842-e997-4adb-b023-f19733793727

9 Likes

Like that. Simple and elegant.

5 Likes

Molossia’s currency is the valora, which is subdivided into 100 futtrus and pegged to the relative value of Pillsbury cookie dough. Cookie dough is stored in an outbuilding called the Bank of Molossia, from which valora coins made from gambling chips and printed banknotes are sold.

Population Estimate: 34 (including dogs)

7 Likes

I thought it sounded like good, clean fun until I got to this part:

On-going hostilities with East Germany

The Republic of Molossia claims to be at war with East Germany, alleging that they are responsible for […]

:grin:

see also: The Republic of Dave

3 Likes

Great vacation place! Pack your bags.

6 Likes

Today (well, yesterday) I learned that I can transfer files between my phone and my tablet by pairing them with Bluetooth, selecting files, and choosing Share from the menu. I’m sure it’s nothing new, but I didn’t know that! :laughing:

(They’re both Samsung, but in theory it should work between any two Bluetooth devices, right?)

I’ve also been learning that my tablet has all kinds of hidden features that can come in handy. Today I discovered that the Gallery app has photo editing abilities. They’re pretty basic: filters, stickers, text, and drawing on the image; stretching, skewing and transformation; brightness/contrast/saturation adjustments; and for gifs, there’s a frame-by-frame editing option. Again, this probably isn’t new… but I’m used to my 5-year-old phone’s version of Gallery, so extra features are a pleasant surprise!

(My tablet isn’t new either-- last year I managed to snag a refurbished Tab S4 at a decent discount. The newest are S6. But it’s good enough for me, and I adore the precision the S-Pen gives me in drawing and coloring apps.)

8 Likes