Today's view

I work in forestry restoration, which tends to provide me with a fairly scenic “office”…

Mornings in Sydney

Here be dragons

Assorted angles around the harbour

They ain’t all perfectly scenic…

But you find many funky things.

Good morning, schoolchildren…

A secret spot near a sandmine, northwest of Sydney

Where have you been today?

32 Likes

More recently:

The Lane Cove River

A site that was recently subject to a restoration burn; all of this greenery is only a month or so old.

Homalanthus populifolius, Polyscias sambucifolia, Acacia parramattensis, etc. Lovely stuff.

Another burn zone, regenerating nicely. Lomandra, dianella, basket grass, homolanthus, sigesbeckia, commelina…all good stuff. All we have to do is guard the borders to keep the weeds and locals out, and the rest takes care of itself.

The dead trees were already senescent and on the way out before the fire came through; those mid-size species only live a decade or so. Eventually, we’ll get proper big eucalypts back in; you can see them in the background.

22 Likes

Beautiful place. Are the handprints a) what I think they are and b) protected in any way? So cool.

9 Likes

a) Yup.
b) Obscurity. They’re on a remote bit of private land, far from any human traffic apart from us.

17 Likes

Weekend Before Last

Farmstead Wedding in Amish Country
Neighboring Towns: Intercourse, Blue Ball, Bird in Hand. The Pennsylvania Dutch are a repressed people.

Last Weekend

Taughannock Falls, Trumansburg, NY

Seneca Lake Wine Trail

Today

Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour

Cooper’s in Scranton - Walls covered in kitsch and memorabilia

16 Likes

Needs more Bogans before I feel like I’m there.

I went to Jeonju to prepare for the end of my time in South Korea.

12 Likes

From my long walk through a city with few sidewalks:

10 Likes

I’m in Busan where I have found the best coffee joint on the peninsula.

13 Likes

Looks like Photobucket is holding you for ransom

5 Likes

@teknocholer Ooops - that’s not supposed to happen. Thought Discourse automagically slurped-in linked images?

5 Likes

Usually, yes.

Photobucket are being unusually dickish, in an apparent attempt to utterly destroy what little is left of their failing business.

7 Likes

Yeesh!

What a buncha bozos.
(Or is that Bezos?)

6 Likes

Whatever your feelings on Google may be, Google Photos is genuinely good.

6 Likes

Yes, it was working a day or two ago. I also thought that Discourse actually made a copy of the original. I’d seen this problem on other sites using different forum software, so I checked some of my old BBS posts, and the images were still there, even ones I had deleted from Photobucket.

I just checked. Some of my earlier Photobucket-hosted images are still showing in my BBS comments.

I haven’t trusted Photobucket since they lost all the images in one account of mine, although the account was still accessible. I emailed them about it, and someone replied promising to try and recover the images, but after that no one responded to my enquiries.

Maybe I’ll try them. On another site discussing the Great Photobucket Massacre, someone suggested Imgur. Can anyone tell me if this would be a good replacement?

2 Likes

This corner five minutes from my current apartment in Gunsan is part of a small farming community on a hill. Not even a decade ago it was surrounded by rice paddies for miles around. Now it’s an island of post-war Korea surrounded by modern skyscraper apartments, shopping streets, and bars.

I’ve tried to photograph the area many times but I’ve never been satisfied with the results. This was shot with my phone as you could probably tell by the wide angle.

6 Likes

Yesterday’s view, but still a nice one:

10 Likes

And another one, from later in the day:

15 Likes

Venteman’s Reach, Lane Cove River. One of our regular worksites.

11 Likes

Working today at Wiseman’s Ferry:

Snake Vine and Poison Peach (AKA Stephania japonica and Trema tomentosa)

Acacia floribunda (Gossamer Wattle)

10 Likes

I went outside today for my annual “Dude! That’s way too long in the East Asian summer sun! Are you nuts?” and shot off some film. These shots, however, fell out of my phone.

Men at work.

Totally accurate sign translation: “Your high heels will become stuck between the planks on this bridge and you will break your leg, allowing the wolves to devour you.”

17 Likes