Today's view

I feel we could all do with some happy-ish cuteness right now. So here’s some quokkas from Rottnest Island, off the Perth coast.

17 Likes

In Shanghai this week:

10 Likes

One from today:

10 Likes

And one from today:

6 Likes

Last one, because I am leaving tomorrow and have blisters on my feet that look like plague sores:

14 Likes

Every time I go by one side of the house I notice this tree in the neighbor’s yard. That’s a black walnut tree, and Wikipedia says that leaf form is pinnate, or feather-like. The way the leaves overlap makes it look like something vibrating, the way an illustrator would draw shaky borders around something quivering. Or like something in contact with the surface of a lake, making ripples. Catches my eye every time.

14 Likes

My first reaction!

10 Likes

The Corning Museum of Glass has a furnace can! Wait for it…

11 Likes

Kept looking for the can, wondering what it was for. There are wonderful cans, for sure, but the inanimate kind that people gush over are truly special. Combustors, for example.

4 Likes

Typo clearance needed on Aisle 3!

(furnace caM, not can)

8 Likes

Singapore’s Arab Quarter (misleadingly called “Arab Street” when it’s actually a square mile or so):

12 Likes

Indeed @chgoliz. Cam, not can. Made by adding a sheet of Glass like the kind used on the space shuttle to the back of the glass furnace then putting a well air conditioned camera behind it. It was groovy!!! Highly recommend this museum.

6 Likes

11 Likes

Well I’m inspired.

6 Likes

11 Likes

Kranji nature reserve is about as far north as you can go in Singapore. The lights across the water are Johor Bahru, the southernmost city in Malaysia. We could hear the call to prayer across the water when I took this:

14 Likes

Last evening in Singapore:

:grin:

14 Likes

Aw, that just rubs it in . . . But what a beautiful view.

7 Likes

If it’s any consolation, it was the worst Singapore Sling I’ve had :slight_smile:

9 Likes

At the risk of spamming this thread, here’s where I am today:

Going from Singapore to Athens feels like going from Disneyland to a museum. A really interesting museum, with friendly, impossibly good-looking people, music that isn’t exclusively pop and amazing food…

14 Likes