Today's view

And you went all the way up to Nuts on Clark!!!

There are some good food halls right there in and around Union Station, at least.

3 Likes

I just went up there to check on the situation. Indeed it is better to find something outside. But, to get back to my first comment, Union Station and the streets of Chicago were empty. Where is everybody?

All the Pret a Mangers and Le Pain Quotidiens in the area are closed. But it all worked out. I found an independent place across from the Sears Tower named Mojo that was very nice.

3 Likes

I’m baffled as well. Maybe because school started again, and there has been an uptick in violent crime in the downtown area?

3 Likes

8 Likes

I’m passing back through Chicago this evening. It’s closed.

I had no idea Chicago on a Saturday night was on par with suburban New Jersey.

“Toddling” is right! Zing!

3 Likes

Not exactly viewable. Today’s concert maybe? We are being bombarded by acorns, and have been for several weeks. The sound on the roof is very loud. We have some big oaks around here and some of those acorns must be falling from a great height. I counted at least six in an hour the other night. And today about 4 or 5 fell at once; at least that’s what it sounds like. And it’s not just a single clump, but more like
CLUMP clump clump clump clump
as it bounces on the roof.

The squirrels are happy.

4 Likes

We’ve got black walnut trees, two of 'em. But they’re in back, and one is next to the garage, so they can only be heard if one’s back there. The lawn right now is like one of those floors where someone dumps a large amount of marbles in order to slow someone else down.

3 Likes

All the acorns on the sidewalk sure slow me down!

1 Like

They’re closer to actual marble size. Black walnuts are slightly larger than golf balls when they’re green.

2 Likes

IMG_20211007_181831

2 Likes

Do you have a local place that buys them? Around me, at least the rural folks have always gathered and sold them. It’s not organized, it’s more like some dude hand paints a sign and sits on a rural corner for the weekend. They don’t bring a lot, but for what’s sitting in your yard, it might be a few bucks.

2 Likes

Nah, they’re infested. At least they were last year. Ick. I practice pitching with them sometimes, lol.

4 Likes

We’ve got black walnuts that bombard our backyard too. It’s super annoying. I’m glad we started paying someone else to mow :smiley:

The juglone from walnut trees also makes it difficult for some plant types to grow, including most of what my spouse wanted to plant.

5 Likes

These li’l guys are under the bay window in the garden that’s in front of the house.
IMG_20211028_130852 IMG_20211028_130904

4 Likes

Snapdragons are the best!

3 Likes

Rock city?

Yesterday on my walk…

7 Likes

this morning in the back yard

this afternoon, the northern-most terminus of the beltline path

in case it’s not obvious, the background is a bunch of spray tips

9 Likes

Close. Signal Point Park off Signal Mountain. It’s a mountain over from Rock City.

3 Likes

It’s really lovely up there…

3 Likes