Top Three Albums?

It keeps the thread from being a wall of “Got no time for alla this”

11 Likes

This thread is languishing. I cannot allow that.

Here are three more you need to hear:

9 Likes

Here Come The Warm Jets was a great album. In my first days of college I heard it blasting from a dorm room and had to introduce myself to the fellow playing it. He thought I was a total loser (he was a sophomore, of course) but later we became friends. Then he stole my copy of Steal This Book.

8 Likes

This one’s a bit tough for me. I can’t even put Back in Black down, since “Have a Drink on Me” isn’t all that great and “Let Me Put My Love Into You” is just too hard to sit through, though the rest of the album is stellar. Pretty much every record I’ve heard contains at least one stinker.

20160920225603!PinkFloydWallCoverOriginalNoText

Pink Floyd’s The Wall was the second album I could think of that I generally want to hear all the way through whenever I hear any of its songs. (Who’s Next was the first, but somebody already mentioned it.) You guys don’t need me to critique it. There’s a wee chance that I might have it here because I have not over-listened to it, and in fact do not have it on my iPods, since the double-CD has been packed away for several years, so it’s overdue for a listen. But the whole thing is great.

ACDC_Highway_To_Hell_AUS

My copy on vinyl actually does have the original Australian artwork, which I like better than the flameless version. I don’t particularly adore “Love Hungry Man,” but I will cheerfully sit through it for the chance to hear the rest of Bon Scott’s Finest Hour.

MI0000927016

Vividly brings back fond childhood memories, and also informs those memories by finally letting me know Mendelssohn was responsible for the Mynah Bird.

8 Likes

Read what you will into the chemical make-up of my formative years but:

jpeg

6 Likes

I don’t begrudge her success, but I do miss the rich and deep lyrics of her early stuff. She really is better in Spanish. I really enjoy Te Dejo Madrid, it’s my fight song.

3 Likes

This one’s tough.

I’ll make it easier by ruling out musicals, which you pretty much have to listen to in order.

That leaves:

5 Likes

I didn’t know that the Beatles were CanCon! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Well he is only required 2 out 3 per the CBC rules. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Time for three more…

3 Likes

Well, OK, three becomes six…

His Bach can drive HIP musicians nuts, but his Hindemith is definitive.

6 Likes

@kxkvi I like “Numbers.” I used to play it at the club a lot.

@KeisterButton after knowing the Zombies solely from hearing “Time of the Season” on classic rock radio my whole life, its shocking how excellent Odessey and Oracle is the first time you hear it. Or any other time, really.

@ChuckV I knew his rep, and that album’s rep, for years without actually hearing it. then a few summers ago my neighbor had a good copy, seemingly an original press, in her yard sale for maybe a buck, if that. sometimes you just get lucky.

@Cynical are you me?

7 Likes

Three more (who can limit it to just three???)
The track “Proclamation” is one of my all time favorites.
“Take California” is brilliant.

Who can resist titles like “Contemporary Insanity”? “Lunch at the Psychedelicatessen?” “Barking Spiders?”

3 Likes

So many top threes.

5 Likes

Top three albums I listened to on the 8-track when I would play in the basement.

5 Likes

8-track and no BTO? I’m shocked! Shocked! :open_mouth:

6 Likes

I love Blossom Dearie’s “Answering Machine” song.

2 Likes

That is all the text you need really.

4 Likes

The Zombies have been mentioned a few times in the above postings, so I thought this would be an appropriate place to recommend these two programs to anyone who is interested in them.

This is the first time I’ve heard them talk. They’re interesting oeople with interesting stories. Worth a listen.

2 Likes

It’s about time for hree more.

5 Likes