Top Three Albums?

I suppose you’re right.

Jack’s piano album (and he was a pretty fine pianist). Maybe the great unknown album of the early '70s.

Jeff. 'Nuff said.

I was going to add a Melodiya album I once had of Emil Gilels doing all of Prokofiev’s wartime sonatas (6,7 & 8), but it is as if it had never existed, and Lord knows I’ve tried to find it since. I linked the 8th here; for all I know, it may well be the same recording I had.

Instead I will add this album:

2 Likes

Ken Nordine is an underrated genius.

3 Likes

Exactly. How do you write poems to 34 individual colors and give each one a distinct personality?

3 Likes

Are you sure they were all sonatas and not Vision Fugues?

http://pianistdiscography.com/discography/pianistLabel.php?cdnum=7099&labRich=22&PIANIST=19

2 Likes

When Nirvana’s Nevermind came out, it not only killed hair metal but drew a line in the sand in other parts of the world as well, there was a before and after, this is what came after in Mexico in the 90’s

Never get tired of this one:

1 Like

Yup. You can’t mistake the wartime sonatas for the Visions fugitives. They are powerful and reasonably grand in scale, and the Visions fugitives are rather slight. (I had the sheet music for the latter before I ran across the sonatas.) It was also definitely Gilels playing - you can’t mistake him for Richter or Berman, or vice versa. The album seems to have fallen off the face of the world.

2 Likes

In Soviet Russia record plays you.

3 Likes

So many to choose from but here’s a stab at trying to make picks that nobody else has used yet.

I’m obsessed with this album. I want it played in its entirety at my funeral.

One of the finest sample based albums of all time.

Perhaps the best mashup album ever.

2 Likes

Could you identify the second and third?

1 Like

ooh, DJ SHadow’s “Endtroducing” is still one of my most favorite albums of all time, too. i never tire of listening to it. the Girl Talk album is like being hit by a tsunami of samples, and it’s very good, too, but sometimes i’m not in the mood for it. DJ Shadow’s album though, omg. all hail.

1 Like

In Soviet Russia record x rays you.

6 Likes

#2 is Endtroducing…… by DJ Shadow

#3 is Feed the Animals by Girl Talk

3 Likes

I was searching for a different post and came across this. I recently discovered this album and it’s a criminally underrated gem. It definitely holds up well to chamber pop contemporaries from the Beatles or Beach Boys.

I plan to put more details in another post but I saw The Zombies perform last night opening for Brian Wilson and they performed the entire O&O album and it was something to behold.

ETA posted here:

5 Likes