Toward Better Communications on the BBS

Of you mean by “American mustard” that turmeric and vinegar stuff that so strongly resembles lead chromate (as opposed to the very pleasant real mustards that happen to be made in the US), then English it is.

Unless a German brown mustard is available. Especially one that gets sold in those little jars you can wash after and use for a drinking glass.

10 Likes

french

7 Likes

You don’t say!

It’s all good; self-awareness goes a long way.

Dislike ketchup/mustard all you want; I won’t judge you.

10 Likes

:thinking: I’m super curious on the history of why they package mustard in a cup.

5 Likes

My mum always said it was simply frugality – people were keeping the jars to use as cups anyhow, so someone designed a top without screw threads, and making jars that looked like glasses (not all of them have the mug handle) became a selling point.

I’ve got one mustard glass that has a very pretty geometric pattern shaped into it, and another very plain one that makes a great cocktail tumbler. They’re really fun, and if they break, it’s not too big a deal.

ETA: I think it’s like how when flour companies found out mothers were using the cloths from flour sacks to make clothing for their kids in the 1930s, they started using flour sacks printed with fun patterns so the kids wouldn’t have to wear stuff that was bleeding obviously made from a flour sack (yeah yeah, I’m sure people got to know the patterns, but you know what I mean.)

12 Likes

Funny: the flour sack designs were the first thing I thought of as well!

5 Likes

I’ve posted this before, but indulge me (from 1959):

7 Likes

Oh wow – the version of that cookbook my mum has didn’t include those instructions, but I’m pretty sure the typefaces were exactly the same! (Hers is from the late 60s.)

3 Likes

What are Javel and Iavex?

Javel and Javex are brands of bleach (sodium hypochlorite).

6 Likes

Ah, so that’s where javascript gets its name.

6 Likes

Javascript gets its name from deceptive marketing, like “UPS” and “Federal Express.”

5 Likes

SERIOUS QUESTION

Are people reading and posting from their phones?

Do you have to download an app? If so, what is it called?

6 Likes

The website should be pretty usable by itself as well.

6 Likes

I just bring up the site on my phone’s Web browser. It works fine for me. I might eventually try the app, but since the website’s working okay for me, I’m in no big hurry to make the switch. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Yes not going to bother turning on my pc just to go to a website.

7 Likes

I added the web site to my home screen. Touch one icon and I’m here.

I didn’t look into the app since this is the only place I go that has Discourse.

11 Likes

I just use Chrome on my Android. The old Boing BBS used to occasionally be tough to handle on my phone a couple years back, but Elsewhere has been fine. I just prefer my computer if I have a long post to type, or lots of quoting to do.

8 Likes

Reading is no problem on my phone (android, standard web browser). But typing is a pain in the ass, so I don’t generally do more than like posts from my phone.

That’s my own limitation, though, possibly age related. I’ve been typing on a full size keyboard almost daily for 30 years and on a touchscreen phone for 5 years tops, and not every day.

Gorram, I feel the strangest urge to yell at some kids to get off my damn lawn.

8 Likes

I have the same problems. Maybe it’s because my hands are huge, but it’s probably just because smartphone keyboards suck.

6 Likes