Trump of Arabia

What thoughts do we have for these two stories?

More Trump tweet hypocrisy or personal growth?

Will Trump win-over the Muslim world and lose his racist base at home?

:thinking:

9 Likes

or personal growth

Interesting articles.
I think Iā€™d need to see some other signs of personal growth before I could give that much credence. Iā€™m thinking of the phrase ā€˜preponderance of evidenceā€™ here, fur some reason.
(Another option: Maybe a token challenge to throw to his base?)

It may also, however signify Melania standing her ground.

3 Likes

It likely wonā€™t be reported in the racist outlets his racist base usually read.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve seen Muslims on Twitter saying Melania didnā€™t have to wear a scarf in the first place (although one pointed out a head covering is required when meeting the Pope).

I just donā€™t see any big pivot here. We already knew Trump wants to be cozy with super-rich people. And we already knew heā€™ll say just about anything to get knee-jerk approval. The Saudis, no doubt, were counting on it.

Racist Americans, on the other hand, will need a bit more pushing. If they donā€™t support Trump, itā€™s not like theyā€™re going to stop being racist and vote Democrat.

7 Likes

Itā€™s a pivot because two years ago he tweeted a criticism of Michelle Obama when she did the same thing. Just another one of his glib, meaningless putdowns.

7 Likes

Pivot or hypocrisy? Pivot implies a permanent change of approach based on the recognition (realization) of realpolitik conditions. Hypocrisy is when previously held positions are temporarily abandoned for the sake of appearance or convenience.

5 Likes

Why not both?

5 Likes

Iā€™m not sure it was even a ā€œpreviously held positionā€ so much as, he is simply a racist douchebag. In his world, nothing the Obamas ever did was right, but if he does the exact same thing heā€™s a winner.

Also, Trump doesnā€™t really believe in anything except Trump, glorifying Trump, and making Trump wealthier. I donā€™t think he really has positions on anything else, he just extemporizes with no regard for consistency.

10 Likes

A pivot assumes he even really held a position in the first place.

Trump, and Ford, and all the nominally conservative populists: they just say shit. Itā€™s the sort of thing that belongs, at best, at a pep rally. Itā€™s not a platform. Itā€™s just hype. And when they say contradictory shit, itā€™s just more hype.

The actual platform is in what they do, and here Trumpā€™s been perfectly constant.

4 Likes

His purpose on this trip was to attempt to start an intra-Muslim war.

So far, itā€™s working:

They wonā€™t count it as fully successful until the Saudis attack Iran, though.

6 Likes

I donā€™t see whatā€™s so uncharacteristic.

Having ran on Islamophobia, do they really want pictures of Melania in a headscarf?

ā€¦and black people to take the lead against street crime, and gay people to take the lead in reporting pedophilesā€¦Growth would have been finding something to say to them other than ā€œGee, you got a lot of terrorism going on here.ā€

3 Likes