Twitter API access

If you currently use your (or someone else’s) Twitter account to log into Elsewhere, please modify your user preferences to use an alternative authentication method before Twitter API access is restricted or removed starting this week(2/9). Feel free to reach out if you need help.

For context:

2 Likes

It’s one thing over here where we are few, but I wonder if it’s gonna give @orenwolf heartburn over at BB. Hopefully it’s not a big problem, but I read the thread that talked about the (huge) number of daily visitors, and wow.

4 Likes

Yeah, and at the cost of $1/twitter-user-authentication, that shit adds up fast. I definitely do not forsee Jason signing off on paying for premium API access, definitely going to be a mandatory authentication migration for any twitter users who use twitter to log into BoingBoing BBS.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine twitter limiting their OAuth API, that would be even crazier than blocking the the tweet apis because the whole idea is being able to use Twitter as an authoritative identity provider, something that surely Musk would like for his “everything app.”

4 Likes

I absolutely agree with you that it wouldn’t make sense to create a paywall around using Twitter as an auth provider, but very few of the decisions that man has made since appointing himself king have been what I would classify as either rational or informed.

Allow me to link to a completely random and not at all relevant Wikipedia article:

8 Likes

Hi, I suspect I might’ve used Twitter to sign up and log in here. If you guys can tell that’s the case, can you please migrate my sign in or whatever? Thank you and sorry to be so vague!

3 Likes

So it looks like it’s possible to do this yourself. Head to your user preferences page by clicking on your user icon, then clicking the silhouette on the right, and then selecting Preferences:

Once there, you should see a section labeled Associated Accounts:

You should be able to click on the trash can icon and disable that login connection. I’m assuming that Discourse will then make it so that you can login via email instead, but I haven’t tried it and I also couldn’t find any documentation that confirms what happens when you revoke the only connection. If you somehow lock yourself out of your account and can’t do a password reset, send me an email at bbs.elsewhere.cafe@gmail.com and I’ll figure something out.

4 Likes

Thank you for doing all that when I probably should’ve been able to figure it out myself.

Edited to add: done! Seems like it just falls back on to my email as that was listed as ‘primary’ contact.

4 Likes

Did it make you create a new password, or did you already have one?

2 Likes

I guess I already had one because I didn’t have to log in or anything. Just discarded the Twitter ‘associated account’ or whatever it was called (ie clicked on the rubbish bin), saved the change and that was it.

2 Likes

When the company first announced it was shutting down its free APIs, Twitter said it would cut access off on February 9th. It later pushed back the cutoff date to February 13th without warning.

2 Likes