UK Politics Thread

As much as I hate Nigel Falange, heads do need to roll for the way the Tories have bypassed the restrictions on campaign spending.

We’re into strange territory now. I can see us with another hung parliament, depending on how the dice fall. Why does this happen whenever I leave the countries.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve just had a dishonest leaflet from the Lib Dems.

I’m not going to argue whether the Green party or Conservatives can win here or not (look at my previous comments for that), but to say they can’t while hoping people don’t remember that in 2015 their party came in fourth place behind both parties is a bit of a joke.

The Lib Dems did well here in 2005 because of the anti-war vote and Charles Kennedy, then carried some of that momentum into 2010. Nick Clegg fucked up their chances here (a strongly left leaning seat with two universities) and I can’t see Tim Farron doing much to change that.

3 Likes

Every leaflet I’ve ever seen has a ‘vote for us cos the others can’t win here’ graph that’s badly out of scale.

Although I’m also a Lib Dem shill. :wink:

2 Likes

So here we go again? London again, this time. And five days before the general election. They want us voting scared. :angry:

(https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/871135220833144832 for a reasonably reliable entry point)

4 Likes

Are they calling it a terrorist attack?

1 Like

Yes, as of half an hour ago.

2 Likes

Yeah, about an hour ago:

Initially “reports of a vehicle in collision with pedestrians”, c/w a stabbing and gunshots.

The stabbing is now officially declared as unrelated. Haven’t heard anything more about the declared gunshots.

All from the Metropolitan Police’s twitter account, bless 'em.

3 Likes

(Sorry for duplication, @gadgetgirl)

3 Likes

I just hope things get sorted out quickly. Ideally with the people responsible behind bars.

3 Likes

Me too. We are pretty good at catching and arresting, even with armed response teams.
To be blunt, if at all possible, we want criminals to convict, not martyrs to the cause.

5 Likes

Police summary. I trust this more than the politicians right now.
http://news.met.police.uk/news/london-bridge-incident-244604

5 Likes

Just voted. After the Labour comeback in the last few weeks I don’t think the Green Party have a chance of winning in Oxford East, but I voted for Larry anyway.

I went past several polling stations coming back from a doctors appointment and there were queues, including my polling station. Maybe a high turnout in the Oxford seats? Also, the after work traffic jams started before 4:30. Usually they start at 5-5:30.

4 Likes

I voted Lib Dem, although they don’t stand a chance here (safe Labour seat). As if to celebrate, the sun’s finally come out

1 Like

I lived in Oxford West last time there was a General Election.

Did you also get a storm of leaflets that said the labour and libdem candidates were anti-christian and wanted to murder babies in the last two days before the vote? That shit was seriously fucking weird…

3 Likes

The ITV exit poll predicts a Conservative coalition/minority government. They’re also saying it’s too close to call.

ITV tend to be conservative leaning.

I’m still expecting the worse and hoping for the best, and I’m probably going to be awake all night.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Just the Strong and Stable majority she needs for negotiating with Europe, then!

4 Likes

If she loses the little majority she’s got, how soon before May’s ousted?

6 Likes

And it begins.

Newcastle Upon Tyne Central is a Labour hold. A 2% gain from the Tories. Ukip’s share of vote down 11%.