UK Politics Thread

Does anyone really believe Boris doesn’t already have the knives out?

5 Likes

Are these exit polls generally accurate, and if there is a hung parliament, who do you expect ends up as PM?

1 Like

I voted Labour in a Conservative constituency with only three candidates. Last time, UKIP stood and got more than 10% of the vote; sadly, I suspect the Tories will get most of those back, which would give them an absolute majority in this constituency.

As of now, two seats have declared, both for Labour: 100% success so far! I think I’ll quit while we’re ahead, and find a decent film to watch.

2 Likes

They’re usually fairly accurate

Probably not Theresa May :laughing:

4 Likes

Surprisingly, but not entirely, so. The biggest risk is the people who choose not to answer (or weren’t asked).

Here’s the FT’s graph of the last few elections’ Exit vs reality:

2 Likes

Judging by my Facebook feed, there are a lot of people who aren’t prepared to admit that they are voting Tory because they’ve got theirs and fuck everyone else…

“Why, yes, Mr Pollster! I do get my pisspoor understanding of politics from the Daily Mail! I also hate poor people, the disabled and the elderly. Also poor children; fuck those arseholes for wanting a nutritious meal a day! I pay my 40% tax because I want to pay for nuclear weapons and because I believe that companies like Amazon, Vodafone and Starbucks should all pay less tax than me!”

Forgive me for not being too optimistic about the exit polls just yet. What people vote for and what people are prepared to admit they voted for are very different things…

10 Likes

Yep. We learned that with polls generally last time.
And by definition, exit polls also don’t count postal votes. That graph is still accurate, though, though that may be through luck more than anything…

I’m - I’m just waiting to see what happens. Either way, the odds of a drink or three tomorrow are high.
Let’s see if I can sleep in a bit.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure my position is still:

But, of course, we’ll see what happens, and deal with the bloody consequences. As always.

4 Likes

Labour gains their first seat of the night

the SNP lost Rutherglen and Hamilton West, but not by a lot.

2 Likes

Sheffield Hallam, and Hastings and Rye are looking vulnerable to the Labour Party.

No tears will be shed here if Nick Clegg and Amber Rudd lose their seats.

Kensington also looks vulnerable (but unlikely).

1 Like

I’m from the US and therefore woefully uninformed, but I’m following the UK election tonight, trying to be a better global citizen. I’m hoping someone here can help me with a question.

I’m watching this for live returns:

What is the “Others” party which already has a seat? At first I thought it might be compilation of other parties, but it doesn’t appear to be so – I mean, they do list the “Monster Raving Loony Party” and the “Pirate Party” separately. So, who are the “Others”? Nicole Kidman from that movie? Those folks from “Lost”? In all seriousness, who are they?

3 Likes

Labour have taken Vale of Clwyd from the Tories!

They increased their share of the vote by %50.

3 Likes

Pretty much.

The one seat is North down held by an independent who was a former Ulster Unionist (the more moderate of the two Northern Irish unionist parties).

Northern Ireland has different parties to the rest of the UK.

3 Likes

I know this isn’t truly important to the rest of what’s going on (Tories probably losing majority), but thank you, thank you. It was driving me crazy.

1 Like

Labour have gained Battersea.

2 Likes

Labour gain Bury North from the Tories. When I went through there it was another place where there were no Tory signs to be seen.

2 Likes

The deputy leader of the SNP has just lost his seat, Moray, to the Conservatives :frowning:

Nick Clegg looks unhappy

4 Likes

Goodbye, Nick Clegg :laughing:

5 Likes

Theresa May does not look happy

7 Likes