UK Politics Thread

The Conservatives have just lost Canterbury to Labour.

The last time they didn’t have a Conservative MP was 1835.

9 Likes

Just watched that happen! I’m trying very hard not to live vicariously now, as I obviously don’t understand all the vagaries of UK politics, but I’m trying to learn. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amber Rudd keeps asking for recounts.

2 Likes

Bristol North West has been won by Labour.

They have voted for every party which has taken power since 1974.

8 Likes

What do you make of the loss of SNP seats? Seriously interested.

1 Like

The SDLP have been wiped out in Northern Ireland.

1 Like

Brighton Kemptown has gone Labour.

Another government minister down.

2 Likes

Home Secretary Amber Rudd has only just held Hastings and Rye.

Lib Dems have regained Oxford West and Abingdon from the Tories! :grinning:

4 Likes

I gotta say, I’m liking this whole parliamentary system you’ve got.

1 Like

The Lib Dems may win Fife North East by only one or two votes.

Once again, it looks like we’re getting a hung parliament when I’m away on holiday. I might have to go away more often if there’s some cause and effect going on here.

4 Likes

Definitely a hung parliament now. Hopefully the DUP will tell the Tories to go fuck themselves. We can but dream…

1 Like

Well done Theresa May, you fucked that up good and proper. :laughing:

10 Likes

Caroline Lucas holds Brighton Pavillion for the Green Party :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So, reflections.

Tories
The Tories pissed away a 20 point lead. I personally think they looked good after the Coalition because the Lib Dems curbed their worst impulses. A couple of years of being reminded what they’re really like has taken the shine off them. Also, May appears to be staggeringly incompetent at any sort of electioneering. I think what really did for her was having berated the police for scaremongering not that long before 2 terrorist attacks. They were only saved from worse by the ham-fisted Labour campaign.

Labour
Corbyn did surprisingly well given the predictions of doom at the start. However, he’s not actually won anything, he’s just failed to lose. Labour hasn’t really reached out beyond it’s boundaries and was equally as bad as the Tories. Where May refused to meet the public, Corbyn only seemed to campaign in safe seats. If this had been Blair we’d be looking at a 3 figure Labour majority. Unless Corbyn can tap into the more competent parts of the party this may be a high water mark.

Lib Dems
The tactic of being for the 48% was a good idea but fell flat. Most people seem to be resigned to Brexit now, we’re just waiting to see how much of a shit sandwich we’re going to have to eat. We certainly don’t want to have to vote on it again #JeSuisBrenda. Also, we’re still badly tainted by the Coallition and it’s going to take a lot longer to get clear of that.

Sorry to see Nick Clegg go. I know he still gets a lot of hatred for the tuition fees thing (funny how no-one blames the Tories though) but I think we’ve lost a decent, principled politician.

SNP
Feeling the heat of being the Establishment in Scotland. Also, no-one wants another bloody referendum #JeSuisBrenda. Never thought I’d see that many Tories in Scotland again.

UKIP
Disappearing into obscurity now that St Nige has abandoned them. Although he’s threatening to come back. Stake, garlic, running water?

6 Likes

I could likely look this up, but as I’m being lazy, do the areas that went Tory correlate with those that voted against independence? Just curious.

I’d add

Greens
A disappointing night with no seats gained and a loss of share of the vote, but Caroline Lucas looks like she will be MP for Brighton Pavilion for quite some time having got 51.8% of the vote there last night.

Jeremy Corbyn’s comeback hurt us a lot (not that I’m going to complain about the end result).

With him gone I’m already looking more favourably on the Lib Dems. They’re still too far to the right for me to consider them as my preferred party but at least they aren’t authoritarians like the Conservatives (and I get the same worrying feeling from some parts of Labour and Momentum too).

I guess I’m still angry at him.

They seem to correlate with some of the areas where the EU remain vote was weakest.

6 Likes

I just this quick visual comparison. Looks pretty spot on in the conservative areas were more for Brexit.

4 Likes

I thought we were talking about Scotland, which entirely voted remain but some areas were close.

That EU referendum map doesn’t show how strong the vote was in each area

2 Likes