UK Politics Thread

Sure, there’s plenty of context missing there. I’m not claiming will researched data. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Guardian has a referendum map that shows smaller areas and tells you what the local result was and my hypothesis seems to mostly work. The Westminster seats are smaller though.

1 Like

I can understand that. During the Coalition he got a battering from the right wing press who managed to paint him as responsible for all the nasty stuff he failed to stop the Tories doing but didn’t get credit for things like gay marriage or raising the personal tax allowance above £10k.

Some people will never be able to forgive him for tuition fees, but I think history will treat him kinder.

2 Likes

The bits of Scotland that have been lost to the Tories are all places that have the following in common:

• Rural areas, which always had some level of support for the nasty party.
  • Areas which voted no to self determination in 2014
  • Relatively low remain votes in the EU referendum.

The three main areas where the defeats have happened are the borders, Perthshire and the north east. All of them have the three points to a fair extent, but as the cartogram will show, they look bigger than they are.

6 Likes

Lib dem leader goes.

2 Likes

Oh go on - I know I said I wasn’t going to use it here, but May/Johnson/Davis/Fox in brave new strategy for Brexit negotiations.

4 Likes

It is, in fact, due to me checking the news in the morning before my girlfriend. Brexit & Trump? I had a lie-in. France & UK elections? Up early. It’s a terrible sacrifice, but, I believe, worth it in the long run.

3 Likes

The Tories may have broken election laws again

5 Likes

I know it’s a month later but I have to engage in a bit of “I told you so” here.
My offspring in his constituency was all for him to begin with, then when he went all fundie she was horrified.

1 Like

Wake me up when the headline is “May not have broken election laws again.”

6 Likes

After the latest from Davis, Leadsom, Patel and Rees-Mogg I can only respond:

Corbyn’s Energy in a Field in Pilton

The burning flats, the awful DUP
Dacre and Murdoch striving to be master
And Leadsom threatening the BBC
The paths of Tory lead but to disaster

Can spinning Raab or furthest right Patel
Fill Randian platitudes with exciting breath?
Revive the Party? Can they really? Hell,
Most of their members are too close to death.

And that is why it’s me here on this stage
Telling the young it’s time for them to rise
Engagement beats senescent noisy rage
The tortoise yet may steal Theresa’s prize.

4 Likes

Here’s a piece of news that puts recent events into an awful lot of context.

Grenfell tower could have been prevented, because here’s an example of where it was prevented, over 10 years ago. Of course, it wasn’t listened to by multiple UK governments.

Here’s the most chillingly relevant quote:

But the report added: “Notwithstanding… we do not believe that it should take a serious fire in which many people are killed before all reasonable steps are taken towards minimising the risks.”

9 Likes

I don’t think there is a single conservative MP who I would want to be PM, but please don’t let it be Jacob Rees-Mogg.

It’s not his personality or image, it’s because his political views are shittier than usual.

4 Likes

Also, his personality and image aren’t really that great either:

2 Likes

I’m not really able to post much about this one without using foul language, so here’s just the link:

6 Likes

Plus, if they run out of bread, they can use the spare money for cake!

9 Likes

I seem to have been proven right in less than 2 weeks.
Now it’s Ruth Davidson and the Scottish Conservatives who are clearly thinking "£1.5 billion for Prots in Ulster with 7 MPs, how much for Scotland with 13?"
The Scots Conservatives seem to be distancing themselves from the English party and describe themselves as “centre-right” while the English party is now righter than right. Davidson has just stood up for international aid before (she’s a Lesbian) sticking two fingers up at the DUP with a tweet including a picture of an actress who is apparently a bit of a lesbian icon.

Who’s next? Anyone who can get together 10 Conservative MPs with reasonable majorities now looks able to form a splinter group to get special treatment. May is so far out of her depth that the RNLI will probably need to call in a submarine.

Edit -posted in the wrong place. Could a kind person move this to the British Politics thread? I didn’t notice I was already OT. (Thanks, @LockeCJ)

5 Likes

The Daily Mash is actually wrong about Mogg.
He’s from around 1823, not 1923. Pre-Reform, in fact.

5 Likes
1 Like

Oh great. McVile is in charge at the DWP. :poop:

f2060c7713cd9cb8de0cdddcad037e60415030c3_1_603x500

4 Likes