UK Politics Thread

Young has gone. The 800lb gorilla in the room is how he was ever appointed in the first place. It seems he’s a friend of Boris, though likening Johnson to a gorilla is an insult to gorillas.

Edit - for those who don’t know, Young is kind of like Steve Bannon but without ever having held a proper job before he turned into a pathetic Ludendorff impersonation.

4 Likes

A friend knew Toby Young when she was at school at Dartington and from what I have heard it sounds like he never grew out of rebelling against his father Michael Young.

3 Likes

Dacre at the Mail has never grown out of rebelling against his school, UCS.

2 Likes

I agree with him for once, although I believe the opposite of what he does.

Now that I have typed that, I feel the need to have a shower with bleach and pan scourers.

7 Likes

Think about this.

1. Farage is convinced his backers will succeed again next time with the same tactics because with Johnson and Gove in the Cabinet, the Government will not dare put the case for Remain.
  2. He can’t lose because either it will restore his credibility - which has been in decline - or we stay in the EU which reinstates UKIP and ensures a continuing flow of cash to N. Farage Enterprises.
  3. He gets publicity, which is the goal of naricssists.

I believe it is essential that we stop doing populist politics and that the public, and politicians, are forced to be aware of the results of the decision of the Conservative Party to implement a referendum decision without actually considering what it meant.
If there had then been a second referendum shortly after the first with multiple questions, it could have led to rather different results.

What we’ve learnt is that a significant fraction of the British public can be classed as “gleeful wreckers”. Anything which gives them a voice in serious political decision making is bad. In Athenian “democracy” - or perhaps that of Appenzell is a better example - such people would be exposed in the assembly and their opinions duly evaluated. But when they can vote in secrecy for chaos, we all suffer.

4 Likes

Farage and Johnson are working on blaming the Labour Party for the failure of post-Brexit trade deals:

It’s now obvious they know their idea was an utter failure and, like the Nazis, are casting around for someone to blame.

In other news a recent poll suggested that if there was a second referendum, 75% of Labour supporters would vote Remain, up from the 2016 result.

6 Likes

Why do we fight to save the NHS? Because of this…

The NHS still manages to be better than private healthcare even after 40 years of cuts, which mental health care always seems to get the worst of.

9 Likes

This thread is a bit moribund, like our government of fools, but I offer this future epitaph:

Here lies the body of Jake Rees-Mogg
Who filled the land with smoke and smog
Some people died who weren’t too healthy
So what, so long as Mogg is wealthy?

7 Likes
8 Likes

I don’t understand this:

It seems that Parliament has voted down any consideration of alternatives such as a 2nd referendum, had already voted down May’s deal, and has also voted down a no-deal Brexit. And it seems there’s one clear and non-contradictory instruction from the Tory Bloc: to drop the Irish Backstop and resume the Troubles.

6 Likes

I get the impression that the Labor and Conservative parties are each trying to use brinkmanship to their own political advantage. There is no word for that, but it is really despicable.

6 Likes

It’s not you. Westminster is completely incoherent at the moment.

We can get some form of consensus on what they don’t want, but nothing about what they do want.

As someone has summed up:

7 Likes

That seems like a perfectly cogent understanding of the whole situation to me. :man_shrugging:

Perhaps you’re not factoring in the 30 years of right-wing media monopoly where the press has been owned by a handful of anti-europe billionaires, the fact that the Conservative Party is going through an ideological schism that they should have resolved three decades ago, and that most people who are over 50 are both incredibly media-illiterate and vote religiously, even if they don’t have a clue what they’re voting for?

I mean, nothing that is going on right now makes sense whether it’s taken in or out of context but I do find that the context changes the fuckwittery from “what are they doing?? Are they actually insane?” to “they know exactly what they are doing, they’re just too puffed up on their own self-importance to give anyone the credit for realising that they look ridiculous.”

7 Likes

As I mentioned on that other site, the land of Darwin is determined to win the Darwin Award.

8 Likes

Here, someone’s done a nice little diagram of the options:

And May’s still trying for D.

11 Likes

Well this is good to know… if a hard Brexit causes the UK to devolve into the Hunger Games, there is a plan to save the Queen.

7 Likes

Why not? She’s virtually the only major political figure who’s thought it was a bad idea from the get-go and stuck to that.

6 Likes

If I were in her position… well, fuck, I wouldn’t get into her position. But she’s wasted time refusing a 2nd referendum, when a 3+ option referendum with single transferable vote would probably delegitimize the diehard hardliners.

2 Likes

Don’t stop watching or you might miss the Breunion Boys.

5 Likes

For those outside the US:

2 Likes