Um.... what.... aka, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read

Can it possibly be both, though?

9 Likes

A stupid attempt at hyperbole?

7 Likes

A hyperbolic attempt at stupidity.

7 Likes

Stupidity escalating along a hyperbolic curve?

7 Likes

More likely exponential - he’ll just keep getting stupider at an increasing rate. He won’t reach infinite stupidity after a fixed time, because it takes brains to be that stupid…

8 Likes

The stupidity. I guess it was down to Chuck or Jon Voight. There can only be one, I guess.

9 Likes

Sigh. There’s a reason be was cast as Milo Minderbender.

5 Likes

I wonder if he knows which century he’s talking about? :thinking:

6 Likes

I’m now okay with Angelina Jolie distancing herself from him.

10 Likes

Not the 20th, that’s FDR; not the 19th, that’s Lincoln; and as for the 18th…whoo, that’s tough!

But considering who we’ve had for POTUSes (POTUSi? sounds like a dance, or was it that place with the silver in Peru?) in THIS century…

Dude, I’m not sure he even knows what continent he’s on.

9 Likes

He’s definitely gross. But not mickel or michel except in potential harm.

4 Likes

(The stupid being the person attempting the insult, of course.)

13 Likes

from the replies

12 Likes

virtue signaling is actually a thing in “signaling theory”. good luck trying to piece together the original meaning now,. Perhaps a well formed google scholar query?

7 Likes

Right, I’ve actually always liked the term. Something I really worry about in the age of social media is that people can put out the appearance of being a good person, while not actually being one. It’s a pretty serious problem, when someone is signalling they are an inclusive employer, etc, but they actually aren’t.

10 Likes

-washing, in other words.

7 Likes

Pretty much, but without having to get too specific, since someone might be *-washing along multiple axes.

6 Likes

kyriewashing… /s

2 Likes

Ironically, in academic parlance “virtue signalling” is described as particularly costly. Indeed, much of signallng theory is devoted to the problem of avoiding “cheap talk.”

The introduction to this article lays out the theory in general terms.

Possibly an interesting diversion if one reads both generally and voraciously.

Two worrisome premonitions-- many of the papers are economic papers-- with axes to grind and and ideologies to promote. The other is one of style-- what may be appropriate descriptions of animal behavior and community behavior may well have a dehumanizing effect. It is one thing to claim that Apple’s social initiatives are designed to enhance its brand-- it’s quite another to characterize the genuine beliefs of individual humans quite that cynically,

5 Likes
4 Likes