Um.... what.... aka, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read

I was amazed to learn that a stone can occur in the nasal cavity of all places, and is called a “rhinolith.” (E.g., a kidney stone is a “nephrolith”.) Apparently the rubber container had calcified.

I wonder if anyone stole the stone and smoked it.

4 Likes

Well, it said the rhinolith contained “degenerate vegetable matter”, which I guess means the weed had rotted, as opposed to being a moral judgement.

My question is if he got charged for possession (if weed isn’t legal where he had the operation).

7 Likes

Good question. Depends if the “degenerate vegetable matter” can still be considered weed despite having rotted.

Bleah.

3 Likes

Right??? I was like, what is that???

2 Likes

7 Likes

That the Democrats are “burning the constitution” (FB comment, where else?).

1 Like

“Welcome Back, Kottter” meets “Total Recall”?

2 Likes

The devil’s lettuce isn’t legal here in Australia. As I understand it, the removal op was in Sydney. I hope he wasn’t charged because surely spending all those years in discomfort and developing a rhinolith from such stupidity was punishment enough!

7 Likes

Always causing trouble, those degens from up-nasal-cavity!

3 Likes

is either my new band name or another euphemism for trump

6 Likes

“Degenerate osseous matter” for Trump, I think - he is, after all, a degenerate bonehead.

8 Likes

Trump and vegetables definitely don’t go together.

6 Likes

He’s too smart to eat vegetables.

2 Likes

Maybe he just read too much Bunnicula at an impressionable age?

…naah, what am I thinking, he can’t read.

8 Likes

This story is more sad than dumb, so perhaps not a 100% fit for this topic, but the parts that do fit are a really good fit, so…

I’m struck by two things upon reading this.

A) I had no idea that this was even a thing, i.e. that the specifics of a school’s “party culture” would be worth documenting and/or investigating, although I suppose I should perhaps not be too surprised, and

B) Kids are dumb.

FTA:

For many students, being affiliated with I’m Shmacked was a status indicator. “I thought getting the company name out there with my name would be a good networking opportunity for other things down the line in my life,” said Jerry Shukes, 21, who ran an I’m Shmacked Instagram account at East Carolina University

To reiterate: the name of the company is “I’m Shmacked.”

He’s thinking long-term enough to include the phrase “down the line in my life” and yet still thinks I’m Shmacked is a good brand association?

Or maybe I’m just getting older and don’t remember what it was really like to be young and dumb. Like, intellectually, I’m sure I must’ve been, and I can recall doing some pretty dumb stuff, but now? Maybe it’s been long enough that I can no longer actually remember, much less empathize with, what it felt like in the moment to get taken in, to believe, to think that this time I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Maybe I’m being too cynical, and should just let the kids live a little and learn their own lessons.

And then the article ends with this shit (emphasis mine):

said he would urge all students to research any companies approaching them on Instagram, especially if the offer seems too good to be true. Still, he understood how someone falls prey to it.

“They see a guy with one million followers and is verified,” Mr. Verrico said. “That’s how I was at first. I was like, ‘Whoa.’ You just never would think someone with that much power would do that.

And I’m just like, come on…

Kids are dumb.

4 Likes

People are dumb.

Some of them eventually wise up. But it isn’t inevitable.

8 Likes

Fair enough.

I also like to say, “kids are people, too.”

Which is kind of my way of saying that kids have agency, including for their mistakes, and that I think we’re more-or-less on the same page here, and I hope I didn’t just start an argument with this reply. :slight_smile:

6 Likes
5 Likes

You know what? After much scrolling through the topics, I’m putting this here. And this is why:

For years, Zuckerberg was largely perceived in Silicon Valley as a bold and erudite leader who could outmaneuver anyone, no matter their age or business acumen. Sure, he made some juvenile moves early in his career—from his adolescent prank on Sequoia Capital, when he showed up to a pitch meeting in his pajamas and presented a PowerPoint deck that made fun of his own start-up, to one of his first Facebook business cards, which read, “I’m CEO, Bitch.”

WTAF???

6 Likes

I’m watching this thinking: how is it possible I have no recollection of this show while it feels so familiar? It’s definitely a bit before my time, but maybe I’ve seen it in syndication.

It’s weird how far into the 80s the 70s actuallly go. :crazy_face:

6 Likes