Um.... what.... aka, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read

Zuck is scary as hell.

(My autocorrect changed it to Suck. How apropos.)

5 Likes

I just honestly don’t understand how anyone thought he was cool for even a nanosecond. I lasted 6 months on FB, and that was before they went public and the advertising got worse. It seriously sucks as a platform on so many levels.

5 Likes

Elsewhere is so much better!:smile:

6 Likes

You know? That’s a really good point. We are international (I’d like it if we had even more people from even more places, but still, international), and do discuss a wide variety of topics.

That’s all the internet was ever supposed to be about.

What this forum is not so good for us keeping track of friends and family, but since it’s not meant for that, that’s cool. IMHO neither is FB though, which is why some people have multiple accounts.

9 Likes
8 Likes

9 Likes

Well, see, it’s not discrimination, unless it involves genocide, you see… everything else is just opinions, man! /s

9 Likes

This discrimination, however, does not appear to be driven by gender-specific stereotypes or animus.

It’s what used to be called “benevolent sexism”. They don’t actively hate or think women are bimbos, but just that women are vaguely less capable.

11 Likes

I just love how the article tries so hard to define a difference:

“With statistical discrimination, you have certain beliefs about men versus women and what they can do, and given those beliefs, you choose the person who you think is the best person to hire. You are simply acting in a way that you think will maximize your profits,” Coffman explains. “With taste-based discrimination, you know a certain person will be productive, but you’re sacrificing that by not hiring that person."

I guess prejudice is somehow only prejudice if you know that the beliefs causing you to discriminate are false?

10 Likes

The paper’s online.

“When Gender Discrimination Is Not About Gender”
https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publication%20Files/18-054_3c73e0a0-2821-4728-a700-60006233e380.pdf

2 Likes

Folau, who is Christian, gave a sermon in his Sydney church on Sunday in which he said Australia’s decision to pass abortion and same-sex marriage laws had gone against “God’s word”, adding the nation needed to “repent”.

“Look how rapid, these bushfires, these droughts, all these things have come, in a short period of time. You think it’s a coincidence or not?,” he said.

I really hope he’s wrong.

5 Likes

It’s entirely possible that some people are setting fires to fight back against equality.

4 Likes

Of course he’s wrong. The guy’s a fucking homophobic bigot. Don’t know if the article went into it, but he got fired from a national rugby role for homophobic social media posts. Which he was warned would get him fired if he repeated them. So he did and got fired. Then tried to take Rugby Australia to court for firing him. And he, a millionaire, tried to crowd-fund his defence. He’s a piece of shit and needs to shut the fuck up.

8 Likes

Oh, yes. I’ve read about him before.

3 Likes
5 Likes

The thing needed to stop a dumb asshole with a gun is for his house to take it from him.

4 Likes

He isn’t worrying about anyone breaking in now, is he?

5 Likes

This reminds me of when I was on a train en route to Toronto from Chicago, and this woman from Michigan was telling her friend about how her three year old kept setting off the pressure plate alarm in the hallway in the middle of the house, because (duh) he’d get up in the middle of the night to use the washroom, like little kids often do.

And all I could think was, having a house alarm is one thing, but what do you need a pressure plate alarm in the middle of the house for?

I just don’t see how anyone could function in a community when they feel their house has to be so heavily fortified.

8 Likes

That reminds me of Leela in “The Talons of Weng-Chiang.”

LEELA: In a house this size there must be protection. The professor will have weapons in fixed positions to guard the approaches.

5 Likes

Unless there are grave robbers in the area.

4 Likes