Um.... what.... aka, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read

Related because the first was about homophobia and the second was about racism.

7 Likes

Roofied.

The only natural way

8 Likes

Maybe I don’t know who John Rogers is, but it sounds like he’s making the point that oh-boo-hoo white people don’t get a specific white history month but that’s nothing in comparison to the fact that they don’t get shot for no reason by the police. Seems like he’s making fun of the white pride people, not one of them. No?

6 Likes

Venus horizontal, with Mars rampant above.

So… not just straight pride, but straight in the most boring and traditional position possible. Okay, got it.

Though I have to wonder, isn’t there an awful lot of blackness in that flag for such vanilla people?

9 Likes

This topic makes me despair for the world.

7 Likes

That’s exactly what he’s doing.

I am saying that the “White Pride” and “Straight Pride” people are missing the same big point. And those are two well written comments saying that.

9 Likes

I think I’m finally getting it…
Thanks for your patience!

5 Likes

:smile:

Perhaps a few flags have sprouted since then?

5 Likes

ah…

from here

Straight Ally Flag

The “Straight Ally” flag, without the “Ally” part?

6 Likes

It’s impressive how much empathy and analysis is on display in this thread… compared to that demonstrated by the bozos who inspired it with the “straight pride” stuff in the first place.

6 Likes

demisexuals (people who don’t experience sexual attraction unless they have an emotional connection with their partners.)

Huh. So that’s what that’s called.

7 Likes

This is low-hanging fruit, but still.

4 Likes

Not because of this clip, but I seriously and profoundly dislike her.

4 Likes

To be fair, I went through various stages of “Are they talking about Iron Man?” “I don’t remember either of them being in the Maguire films.” and “Are they talking about the Garfield films that I haven’t seen?” before they described the film sufficiently for me to remember that Spider-Man: Homecoming had Paltrow in it.

4 Likes

So… who are any of these people?

Man on the right is Jon Favreau, director of the first two Iron Man movies, as well as Tony Stark’s chief of Security, Happy Hogan, in those films (and a few other MCU films).

The woman in the middle is Gwyneth Paltrow. She played Pepper Potts in the Iron Man films and other MCU films. She is otherwise best known for selling jade eggs for women to put in their vaginas.

No idea who the man on the left is.

3 Likes

Oh, thanks. I kinda thought that was the Goop lady.

2 Likes

Yep. Quite apropos for this particular topic.

2 Likes

I couldn’t remember her being in any Spider-Man movies either, but to be fair, I can’t remember much about that movie other than that Tony Stark was kind of pervin’ on Aunt May (who was a bit more sprightly than I recall from other tellings of this particular story).

Also on the topic of not being entirely sure which celebrities are which, sometimes, the thing that’s always bothered me about Gwyneth Paltrow and the whole Goop thing is that she started out as a STEM major, studying biology, no less, as an undergrad. So it’s not like she doesn’t (or at the very least – shouldn’t) know better when it comes to all the pseudo-science and woo she peddles on her site. I know this because I remember hearing an interview with her where she describes her experiences and skills in the lab.

So I just spent the last 30 minutes searching for that interview, only to discover that Gwyneth Paltrow was never on Friends, and I’ve been confusing her with Lisa Kudrow for the past several years, at least. :crazy_face:

Anyway, here’s the gist of what made that interview stick with me for so many years. Lisa Kudrow is definitely > Gwyneth Paltrow. (at least as far as I can recall :grin:)

KUDROW: I won’t go into what the study was, but it was a good one.

(SOUNDBITE OF LAUGHTER)

KUDROW: But I had to castrate young male rats and I got it down to I could do it in like four minutes.

via:

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/05/134274547/actress-lisa-kudrow-plays-not-my-job

5 Likes

I think that was Civil War, but I might be mistaken.

4 Likes